Civil Society Leadership Awards 2018 (Fully-Funded Master’s)
Civil Society Leadership Awards are funded by Open Society Foundation and provides full-funding for students pursuing master’s degree. Scholarship recipients will study at host universities such as Duke and Columbia University for two years to receive a master’s degree.
- Summer School
- Airplane Ticket
- Tuition and fees
- Room, board, and monthly stipend
- Be a citizen of an eligible country
- Pursue a degree in a eligible field of study
- Have a bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrate proficiency in the language of instruction (English, German or French) at a level required for admission by host universities
- Be able to participate in an intensive pre-academic summer school in July or August and start their degree program in August or September
- Be able to receive and maintain a visa or study permit as required by the host country
Eligible Country List
- Democratic Republic of Congo
- Equatorial Guinea
- Republic of Congo
- South Sudan
Eligible Fields of Study
- Communications, Journalism & Media
- Culture, History & Society
- Development Studies
- Education Management & Leadership
- Environment & Natural Resource Management
- Gender Studies
- Human Rights
- Law (including Human Rights law)
- Politics & International Studies
- Public Health Policy & Health Management
- Public Policy & Administration
- Social Work & Social Policy
Students studying in areas not listed above such as engineering and science are not eligible to receive this scholarship.
There are many institutions that are hosting Civil Society Leadership Awards around the world. For the complete list, visit the official scholarship page.
How to Apply for Civil Society Leadership Awards
- Applications must be submitted by mid-July.
- Applicants will be notified of their status by email in September.
- Applicants selected as semi-finalists will be invited for an in-person, Skype, or telephone interview to be held in October or November.
- Semi-finalists will be required to take an official language test by the end of November.
- CSLA will have a final selection meeting in November, and results will be sent via e-mail by mid-December.
- Finalists will be notified of their recommended host university placement; some finalists may be asked to submit separate applications to potential host universities at this time.
- CLSA will confirm placement of finalists at a CSLA host university and the CSLA grant will be offered via email in Spring.
Official Scholarship Pages