20 PhD Scholarships and Complete Application Guide
Do you want to receive PhD scholarships to make your dream come true? There are many universities and countries that are offering fully funded PhD scholarships to help talented but financially difficult international students who wish to study abroad. This will help many talented students that would like to study in excellent universities around the world but couldn’t because they cannot afford tuition or living expenses. In this article, I will try to help you by providing you the best PhD scholarship and also a quick guide on how to apply for them.
List of 20 PhD Scholarships for International Students
Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program (USA)
- Link- http://uscollegeinternational.com/index.php/2017/07/02/fulbright-visiting-scholar-program/
- Scholarship Amount- Research cost, living stipend, airplane ticket
- Eligibility- Citizen from 155 eligible countries, hold a doctoral degree, TOEFL or IELTS score
- Number of Recipients- 800 students each year
- Brief Description- This fellowship allows scholars from outside America to research with American professors for about an year.
Hong Kong PhD Scholarships
- Link- http://uscollegeinternational.com/2017/09/11/hong-kong-phd-scholarships-fully-funded/
- Scholarship Amount- Full tuition, annual stipend, airplane ticket
- Number of Recipients- 230 PhD students per year
- Brief Description- The Hong Kong PhD Scholarships are awarded to highly skilled international students to attract intellectuals to Hong Kong. The student has to submit two types of application: one to the Research Grant Council and some to eligible universities. There are total of 8 eligible universities in Hong Kong, and students are welcome to apply to any of those universities.
Murdoch University Scholarships (Australia)
- Link- http://uscollegeinternational.com/2017/09/04/murdoch-university-scholarships/
- Scholarship Amount- Full tuition, stipend of $26,288, and health insurance
- Number of Recipients- Not specified
- Brief Description- This university is a relatively young university in Australia. It was established in 1973 and became one of the largest universities in the world. It currently contains around 16,000 students from many different countries around the world. To attract many international students, it is now offering fully funded PhD scholarships.
Harvard University Scholarships (USA)
- Link- http://uscollegeinternational.com/2017/09/25/harvard-university-scholarships/
- Scholarship Amount- Tuition, fees, living expenses, health insurance
- Brief Description- Harvard University is a prestigious university located in Massachusetts, USA. The university is ranked third in the whole world! Now, it offers both fully funded undergraduate and PhD scholarships. Every PhD student who is admitted to Harvard University will receive fully funded scholarships for his stay.
Princeton University Scholarships (USA)
- Link- http://uscollegeinternational.com/2017/08/05/princeton-university-scholarships/
- Scholarship Amount- Tuition, fees, expenses, insurance.
- Brief Description- Princeton University is one of the best universities in the world. As with Harvard University, it is a member of Ivy Leagues, the most prestigious universities in USA. Princeton University guarantees that it will offer fully funded PhD scholarships to all students that attend this university.
University of Warwick Scholarships (UK)
- Link- http://uscollegeinternational.com/2017/08/27/university-warwick-scholarships/
- Scholarship Amount- Full tuition, annual stipend of 14,000 euros
- Brief Description- University of Warwick is an excellent university located in Coventry, England. This university is a relatively young university that was founded in 1965. However, University of Warwick has grown exponentially to include 25,000 students. This excellent university offers PhD scholarships to international students who have great talents.
University of Oslo Scholarships (Norway)
- Link- http://uscollegeinternational.com/2017/08/18/university-oslo-free-tuition/
- Scholarship Amount- Full tuition
- Brief Description- University of Oslo is the best and the oldest university in Norway. This university is tuition free for all students including domestic and international students. Also, the university is ranked very high in the global rankings placing 58th in the whole world. This top 1% university is offering at least full tuition PhD scholarships, and students can receive additional funding through various fellowships, RA, and TA.
Fulbright Scholarships (USA)
- Link- http://uscollegeinternational.com/2017/06/21/fulbright-program-fully-funded/
- Scholarship Amount- Tuition, fees, room, board, books, insurance, airplane ticket
- Brief Description- This is American government scholarships which means that PhD scholarships are offered by the government. This is perhaps the largest government scholarships in the world and has offered thousands of PhD scholarships to international students as well as domestic students. Students can receive these scholarships to study at the best universities in USA.
University of Adelaide Scholarships (Australia)
- Link- http://uscollegeinternational.com/2017/08/12/university-adelaide-scholarships/
- Scholarship Amount- Tuition and living expenses
- Brief Description- University of Adelaide is an excellent university located in Australia. It is the third oldest university and has the reputation of academic excellence throughout its long history. As with many universities in this list, University of Adelaide is in the top 1% universities in the world. This university is now offering PhD scholarships to enhance their research programs. The qualified international students that will come will help them to advance their research.
University of South Australia Scholarships (Australia)
- Link- http://uscollegeinternational.com/2017/08/04/university-south-australia-scholarships/
- Scholarship Amount- Full tuition, stipend $27,000 a year
- Brief Description- University of South Australia was established in 1991 by the merger of two universities. These universities were both founded in the 19th century. This university is one of the best universities in Australia and is the largest in South Australia. There are over 37,000 students including 12,000 international students, and some of the international students receive fully funded PhD scholarships.
Cambridge University (UK)
- Link- http://uscollegeinternational.com/2017/07/29/university-cambridge-scholarships/
- Scholarship Amount- Tuition, monthly stipend
- Brief Description- Cambridge University is one of the best universities in the world and is ranked 2nd among all universities in the world. This university has so much income from various sources such as tuition, research grants, alumni donation, and printing. Cambridge receives so much research grant from the government and from various organizations because it is excellent in research. Also, many successful alumni have donated much money for their alma mater. These funds from various sources have made possible for Cambridge University to give generous funding such as PhD scholarships. Currently, they offer more than 250 fully funded PhD scholarships a year to qualified students.
Oxford University (UK)
- Link- http://uscollegeinternational.com/2017/07/20/oxford-university-scholarships/
- Scholarship Awards- Tuition, fees, generous stipend
- Along with Cambridge University, Oxford University is one of the best universities in the world. In fact, it was ranked to be 1st in the whole world by QS World Rankings. This university is not only prestigious but also it has long history as well. Founded in 1069, it is second oldest universities in existence and oldest English-speaking universities in the world. This fabulous university is now offering PhD scholarships to students who wish to study humanities. This will provide opportunities for students who are from financially difficult background to study in the best university in the world.
Swiss Government Scholarships
- Link- http://uscollegeinternational.com/2017/08/25/swiss-government-scholarships/
- Scholarship Amount- Monthly stipend, housing allowance, airplane ticket
- Brief Description- The Swiss Government is now offering PhD scholarships to strengthen the relationship among countries around the world. There are many prestigious universities in Switzerland that would love international students in their campuses to increase diversity. Switzerland is a beautiful country containing the Alps mountains. Don’t miss your change to study in excellent universities in such a beautiful country!
Korean Government Scholarships
- Link- http://uscollegeinternational.com/2017/05/13/korean-government-scholarship/
- Scholarship Amount- Round-trip airplane ticket, full tuition, language training fee, medical insurance of $200 a month, monthly allowance of $900 a month, research allowance of $400 a year.
- Brief Description- Korean Government Scholarships are being offered to not only PhD students but also Master’s students as well. It is offering total of 700 scholarships to both PhD students and Master’s students. These students will be eligible to study in any of the approved Korean institutions.
Singapore International Graduate Award
- Link- http://uscollegeinternational.com/2017/08/08/singa-award/
- Scholarship Amount- Tuition fee, Stipend of SGD 24,000 a year, Settling Allowance of SGD 1,000, Airfare Grant of SGD 1,500
- Brief Description- Singapore International Graduate Award, or SINGA, is Singaporean Government Scholarships. As with other government scholarships, SINGA is awarded to recruit top students to research at their institutions. The eligible institutions include prestigious universities such as National University of Singapore and Nanyang Technological University. These PhD scholarships will help qualified international students to research to benefit both the Singaporean government and the students themselves.
MEXT Scholarships (Japan)
- Link- http://uscollegeinternational.com/2017/07/12/mext-scholarships/
- Scholarship Amount- Full tuition, monthly stipend, airplane ticket
- Brief Description- MEXT Scholarships are Japanese Government Scholarships. This scholarship is part of the Japanese government’s plan to increase their number of international students. They want to increase from 140,000 students in 2008 to 300,000 students in 2020. In order to accomplish this, they have offered many number of PhD scholarships. These scholarships will help international students to study in Japan.
- Link- http://uscollegeinternational.com/2017/06/09/korea-university-scholarships/
- Scholarship Amount- Tuition, entrance fee, dormitory fee
- Brief Description- Korea University was founded in 1905, a time under Japanese rule. After its founding, it has provided excellent education to students and become one of the prestigious universities in Korea. In fact, it is part of “SKY” Universities which is Korean version of the “Ivy League.” Many Korean students would love to study at this excellent university because of its academic excellence and alumni success. Korea University is now offering PhD scholarships to students who have financial difficulty and who are qualified.
Kyung Hee University (Korea)
- Link- http://uscollegeinternational.com/2017/07/17/kyung-hee-scholarships/
- Scholarship Amount- Tuition and Fees
- Brief Description- Kyung Hee University was founded in 1949 right before the Korean War. This university has grown exponential since its founding and now includes 31,000 students. Another famous part is its university hospital which is the first in the world to combine Eastern and Western medicinal practices. Kyung Hee University now provides PhD scholarships in order to attract talented minds. The scholarship includes tuition and fees and if you do get another job such as RA or TA, then you will receive monthly stipend as well.
KAIST Scholarships (Korea)
- Link- http://uscollegeinternational.com/2017/05/18/kaist-scholarships/
- Scholarship Amount- Tuition, Fees, living expenses, national insurance
- Brief Description- KAIST is a recognized university located in Daejeon, Korea. The Korean government has heavily subsidized this university because of its excellence in research. KAIST has done many research that has benefited the Korean government and many different Korean companies, and therefore, the Korean government gives huge grants to this university. Therefore, all students that are admitted to this university receives scholarships. So, PhD scholarships are offered to all domestic and international students to KAIST.
How to Apply for PhD Scholarships
Now, you have the list of PhD scholarships around the world. Then, how do you apply for these scholarships? Many students stop at just looking at different scholarships and not apply because they don’t know how to. Here, I will do my best to explain the general scholarship application procedure.
1. Search for PhD scholarships and create a list that you are interested in.
Since you have looked at this list, you have started the first step. You will need to make a diverse list containing reach, match, and safety universities. Reach universities are very competitive universities that you will be lucky to get into. Match universities are universities that you will have a good chance of getting into. Safety universities are universities that you know that you will get in. Try to have at least 2-3 for each type of universities if not more.
2. Create a table listing all the important information.
The next step is to organize those PhD scholarships to a concrete list. Whether you use paper and pencil or a computer, you need to start organize your scholarship list. The important information are scholarship name, scholarship award, country, required materials, application start date, application deadline, application fee, and any special note. When you have organized this list, you will have a better idea what to do.
3. Compete your required materials.
This is probably the hardest step of all. Some universities require you to contact the professors that are willing to sponsor you for PhD scholarships. If your scholarships require you to do so, then you should start contacting different professors in your field. Some universities also require you to do interviews to test your English and research abilities. If so, start contacting the universities to get the interview date. Also, you will need to start asking for recommendations from your professors, organize your CV including your published research, transcripts, and English Proficiency Test, GRE, and other materials. Then, you will need to fill out the PhD scholarships application form itself and complete the essays.
4. Proofread your application.
After you have done the hardest step of PhD scholarships application process, you will need to proofread your application. In this process, you need to make sure that you have completed every required material and that your essays are grammatically correct. This is also a very important process.
5. Submit your PhD scholarships application
After you have proofread your application, you need to submit your application either online or in paper form following the university guidelines. Also, you need to pay any application fees that the university requires.
I hope that the PhD scholarships lists and the guide on how to apply for PhD scholarships have helped you on your journey. If you have any suggestions, please comment below. Also, if you want more scholarship information other than the ones listed above, please visit uscollegeinternational.com. This site contains more PhD scholarships than the ones listed above.