Korean Government Scholarship is administered by a branch of the Ministry of Education called NIIED (National Institute for International Education). This scholarship is for international undergraduate and graduate students who want to study in Korea. The scholarship pays tuition, monthly allowance, round-trip airfare, medical insurance, settlement allowance, and language training fee.
Every year, 170 undergraduate students and 700 graduate students will be selected to receive the Korean Government Scholarship. Keep in mind that this number can change in the future.
Before we look at the Korean Government Scholarships, you should look at these posts to help you study in Korea.
- 15 Best Korean Scholarships for International Students
- Seoul National University Scholarships
- KAIST Scholarships
- Korea University Scholarships
- How to Study in Korea for Free
- How to Apply to Korean Universities
Eligibility to receive Korean Government Scholarship
- Applicants and their parents must hold foreign citizenship.
- Applicants have graduated or will graduate by the time of the arrival.
- Applicants must have a cumulative GPA (Grade Point Average) above 80% OR must be in top 20% in rank in high school.
- Applicants must be under 25.
- The applicant and their parents must hold foreign citizenship.
- Applicants must have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree by the time of the arrival.
- Applicants must have a grade point average (GPA) above 2.64 on a 4.0 scale, 2.80 on a 4.3 scale, 2.91 on a 4.5 scale OR possess above 80% out of 100%.
- Applicants must be under 40.
Duration of the Study
- Bachelor’s degree- 5 years (1 year of Language Course* + 4 years)
- Associate degree- 3 years (1 year of Language Course* + 2 years)
- Master’s degree- 3 years (1 year of Language Course* + 2 years)
- Doctoral degree – 4 years (1 year of Language course* + 3 years)
*Note- Those who receive a TOPIK (Test of Proficiency in Korean) of 5 or above will be exempted from this requirement.
1st Selection- Applicants must submit their applications to Korean Embassies or to partnering universities in Korea. The universities and embassies will select qualified applicants and will forward their applications to NIIED.
2nd Selection- NIIED selection committee selects applicants among those who were forwarded.
3rd Selection- For applicants that submitted their applications through Korean Embassies, they will need to be admitted to at least one university. For applicants who applied through the partnering universities, the 3rd selection is not needed.
Both Undergraduate and Graduate
- Round-trip airplane ticket
- Tuition fees
- Language Training Fee
- Settlement Allowance of 200,000 KRW upon arrival
- Medical Insurance of 20,000 KRW per month
- Korean Proficiency Grants of 100,000 KRW per month for students with TOPIK level of 5 or 6
- Monthly allowance of 800,000 KRW per month
- Monthly allowance of 900,000 KRW per month
- Research Allowance of 210,000 KRW per semester for scholars in humanities and social sciences and 240,000 KRW per semester for scholars in natural and mechanic sciences
- Reimbursement of 500,000 to 800,000 KRW depending on the actual dissertation printing costs
How To Apply for the Korean Government Scholarship
- Read through the admission procedure at Study in Korea site.
- Decide whether to apply through the embassy track or university track.
- If applying through university track, decide which universities to apply by contacting them.
- If applying through embassy track, contact the embassy.
- All these procedures are explained in the announcement, which is released here. Please note that the undergraduate announcements are released in September and graduate announcements are released in February.
- Apply through the embassy or university track by following their application procedure.
- The required document is different in various universities and embassies.
The official site for Korean Government Scholarship is studyinkorea.I have compiled this information from this site, and you should also visit this site for more information about the Korean Government Scholarship. There are also many scholarships available in Korean Universities, and you can find that information here.
More Scholarships in Korea
There are many excellent universities in Korea that offer scholarships for international students. If you want to know about these scholarships, visit Korea Scholarships Page! Before we end, I have included a video about Korean Government Scholarship, so be sure to check it out in the video guide below.