Fulbright Program 2019 (Fully Funded)
Fulbright Program was started in 1946 through a law in Congress to fund “promotion of international good will through the exchange of students in the field of education, culture, and science.” Its goal is to educate foreign students in USA and teach them not only academics but also American culture and language. Second, it wants to send American students to foreign universities to broaden their perspective and to let them realize the importance of a global world.
Since 1946, Fulbright program has funded approximately 324,400 graduate students, 122,800 from the United States and 202,000 from other countries. Annually, it funds 8,000 students, making it one of the largest government-funded fellowship in the world.
The largest Fulbright program is Fulbright Foreign Student Program which funds foreigners pursing Master’s or Doctorate degree to study in USA. Each year, over 4,000 students from 155 countries come to America to pursue their Master’s or Doctorate degree fully funded.
It is important to note that the scholarship amount, eligibility, deadlines, and application process is different for each country. The information listed below is applicable for most countries, and you should definitely check with your own country’s requirements. You can find your country’s requirements by visiting the official scholarship page and find your country in your dropbox.
If you are interested in Fulbright Scholarships, youmight find these posts to be useful:
- Best Government Scholarships
- 16 Free Universities in USA
- 20 Best Scholarships in USA
- Harvard University Scholarships
- MIT Scholarships
- Yale University Scholarships
- How to Study in USA for Free
Eligible Degree of Study
Most countries offer both Fulbright Fellowships to both Master’s and Doctorate degree, but some, such as Bangladesh, offer fellowship only to students pursing a Master’s degree. Also, many countries restrict the eligible field of study such as nursing or medicine. To see what degrees are eligible for scholarships in your own country, visit the official scholarship page and find your country in your dropbox.
- Tuition and Fees
- Room and Board
- Airplane Ticket
- Be a citizen of the country that Fulbright partners with
- Not graduated from college or high school in USA
- Willing to return to their native country for certain number of years
All countries have these basic requirements. Many countries will have other requirements such as minimum age and number of years in a professional job. You can find the specific information on your country by visiting the official scholarship page and finding your country in your dropbox.
The application dates are different for every country. Usually, the deadline is anywhere from January to June. You can find the specific information by by visiting the official scholarship page and finding your country in your dropbox.
- Online or Paper Application
- GRE Score
- Three recommendation letters
- TOEFL Score
Some countries will request more materials while others won’t. There are 155 countries that Fulbright partners with, and its impossible to list all of them. As I mentioned before, these are applicable for most countries.
Benefits of Fulbright Fellowship
- IIE Placement Services- Helps Fulbright Fellows get into the best American Universities by taking an individualized approach and advocating for them to admissions officers. Also, it waives the application fees to most universities.
- Fulbright Enrichment Program- Gateway Orientation, Enrichment Seminars, and Local Enrichment Opportunities help Fulbright Fellows to prepare for the academics in USA and befriend experts in their field.
For more information about:
- IIE Placement Services- https://foreign.fulbrightonline.org/about/foreign-fulbright/iie-placement-services
- Fulbright Enrichment Program- https://foreign.fulbrightonline.org/about/foreign-fulbright/fulbright-enrichment-program
How to Apply for Fulbright Scholarship
- Find the official Fulbright website for your country.
- Check to see if you are eligible.
- Complete the application by sending your application and your application materials to the Fulbright Agency.
Most Fulbright Fellowship process is handled by the US embassy or other organizations that are affiliated with Fulbright. You should go to the official scholarship page below to see which organizations accepts your Fulbright Application.
Official Scholarship Pages
- To access specific information for your country- https://foreign.fulbrightonline.org/about/applicants
- To access the history of Fulbright Program- https://foreign.fulbrightonline.org/about/history
I hope that this article on Fulbright Scholarships was helpful. If you are interested, visit the USA Scholarships Page!