The University of Toronto is one of the best universities in Canada and in the world. It was founded in 1827 as King’s College and later changed its name to University of Toronto. This university was crucial to the development of Canada because it has produced 2 Governors-General of Canada and 4 Prime Ministers. Hundreds of University of Toronto scholarships are offered to international students to help them achieve their dreams in this fine university. International students who do receive this excellent Scholarship in Canada are one of the best in the world.
The University of Toronto has produced many leaders in Canada and around the world. This is due to the excellent education that this university offers. It is ranked 1st in Canada and 22nd in the world by the Times Higher Education World Rankings. In other rankings, it is ranked high also because of its excellence.
This university has around 44,000 undergraduate students and 17,000 graduate students who are taught by 2,500 excellent professors. They are located on three campuses in Canada located in Toronto, Scarborough, and Mississauga. So, do you want to study at the University of Toronto, one of the fully funded universities in Canada?
If you would like to attend this university, you should check the University of Toronto Acceptance Rate to see how competitive the university is.
Other Fully Funded Scholarships in Canada
Before we begin discussing University of Toronto scholarships, I would like to state that applying to only one fully funded scholarship in Canada is very dangerous. Why? Because you might not get that scholarship! So, I would advise you to apply for several scholarships that are offered by universities in Canada.
Here are some of the best scholarships offered in Canada:
- McGill University Scholarships
- University of British Columbia Scholarships
- York University Scholarships
To view other fully funded scholarships in Canada, visit the Canada Scholarships Page.
Also, you might find these articles to be helpful:
- 3 Steps on How to Study in Canada for Free
- Study in Canada without IELTS
- 3 Canada Universities without Application Fees
- 20 Universities in Canada with Highest Acceptance Rates
University of Toronto Rankings
The University of Toronto is ranked very high in the global rankings. In the 2018 World University Rankings, it is ranked 37th in the whole world. In the USNews Rankings, it is ranked 21 globally. In the Times rankings, it is ranked 22nd globally. This university has ranked consistently in the top 50 best universities in the world which means that it is in the top 0.1% best universities in the world!
These high global rankings from the major university ranking systems translate into the high academic standards of this university. It offers the highest quality education to all students in a variety of fields such as engineering, science, and humanities. So do you want to study at one of the best universities in the world?
Keep in mind that studying at a top 50 best university is only for the best. University of Toronto scholarships is probably the hardest scholarships in Canada to get. However, if you do receive the scholarship, you will be rewarded by having the best professors and curriculum.
University of Toronto Tuition and Fees
University of Toronto’s Tuition and Fees are very expensive for international students. They are approximately $50,000 a year for bachelor’s, master’s, and PhD students. If you include the room and board that you would have to pay in the University of Toronto, that would be approximately $70,000 a year. If you are interested in paying less for high quality education in Canada, look at the 22 Cheap Universities in Canada.
$70,000 a year is very expensive for the majority of students. To help international students pay for this high cost, this fully-funded university in Canada has provided with several scholarships to help students pay for this expensive tuition. International students are eligible for these fully funded scholarships listed below.
University of Toronto Scholarships (Undergraduate)
The University of Toronto is one of the fully funded universities in Canada. Fully funded means that it offers tuition and living stipends to students. However, you should keep in mind that you might need money for an emergency and for necessities if your living stipend is not enough to cover your expenses.
If you want to increase your chances of studying at the University of Toronto, I highly recommend that you check out this book: College Application: From Application to Acceptance. This book, written by former Dean of Admissions at Stanford University, gives detailed guide on how you can increase your chances of admissions through SAT/ACT, extracurricular activities, and essays. So, it is definitely worth a read.
University of Toronto International Engineering Scholarships
- Scholarship amount – $20,000 renewable for four years
- Number of Recipients – 17
- Eligibility – International students pursuing engineering in the University of Toronto
- Application Procedure – There’s no separate application. You just need to submit your admissions application to Engineering department.
Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship Program
- Scholarship Amount- Tuition, books, incidental fees, full residence support
- Number of Recipients- 37 students per year
- Eligibility- International students who wish to pursue an undergraduate program
- Application Procedure- Students need to be nominated by their school by November 30th. Then, you need to apply for admissions at the University of Toronto. Next, you will need to complete a separate scholarship form. For more information, visit Lester B. Pearson Page.
To follow along with the video, click on this link.
Undergraduate Scholarship Videos
University of Toronto Scholarships (Graduate)
As a fully funded university in Canada, University of Toronto offers tuition and living stipend scholarships to international students. However, you should always have some money for emergency and other purposes even if you receive these fully-funded scholarships.
Vanier CGS –A Tri-Agency Award (Ph.D)
- Scholarship Amount- $50,000 a year (Tuition, living stipend, fees)
- Eligibility and Application Procedure- There are many eligibility criteria and steps in the application procedure. The official scholarship page does an excellent job in explaining the steps. Please see Vanier Scholarship Page for more information about the application procedure and eligibility criteria.
Ontario Graduate Scholarships (Master’s, PhD)
- Scholarship Amount – Full Tuition
- Application Procedure- See the following page.
Ontario Trillium Scholarship Program (Ph.D)
- Scholarship Amount- $40,000 a year (Tuition, living stipend, fees)
- Eligibility and Application Procedure- There are many eligibility criteria and steps in the application procedure. Please see Ontario Trillium Scholarship Program for more information.
Vanier Scholarships (Ph.D)
- Scholarship Amount- $50,000 per year
- Application Deadline- September 25th
- Eligibility and Application Procedure- For a detailed guide about eligibility and application procedure, visit Vanier Scholarships Page.
More Scholarships for International Students (Master’s and Ph.D)
There are many scholarships available for international students other than the ones listed above. Please see External Scholarships, International Students Awards, Internal Awards, and Government Scholarships to access these scholarships.
Graduate Scholarship Videos
Admissions and Scholarships
- Undergraduate- January 10 or January 17 depending on the field of study. Also, there is a nomination deadline of November 30th for specific undergraduate scholarships. Visit this page for more information.
- Graduate- Application deadlines vary depending on the field of study. Visit this page for more information.
How to Apply to the University of Toronto
Strategy on Applying to Scholarships in Canada (Bonus)
There have been many requests from the audience about how to apply to scholarships in Canada. First, I would apply to the University of Toronto scholarships. However as I said before, this scholarship is very hard to get. So I would apply for easier full scholarships in other universities. This will increase your chances of getting a scholarship in Canada because you will have multiple applications to different universities. Keep in mind to apply for not as well-known university, because you will have a greater chance of receiving a scholarship? Why? Because competition is not strong.
I hope that this information regarding University of Toronto scholarships has helped you. If you want to know about other scholarships in Canada, visit Canada Scholarships Page.