There are many scholarships in Korea that are being offered to international students by excellent Korean universities. In this article, I will discuss each university in general and provide a brief description of every Korean scholarship such as the scholarship amount, application dates, and programs offered. Also, I will provide links to other pages on this website so you can see the full scholarship details and application procedures of the ones that you are interested in.
This list of scholarships in South Korea is by no means a comprehensive list but will be constantly updated to provide the latest information possible. However, there might be a slight change in the application dates that I have not updated, so please refer to the official scholarship websites that are linked to the scholarships in Korea. Also, please keep in mind that these Korean scholarships renew every year, so the application dates will be similar to previous years.
If you want to study in Korea, there is a lot of information that you will need to know. Here are some of the posts to get you started.
- How to Apply to Korean Universities
- How to Study in Korea for Free
- 3 Universities in Korea with No Application Fees
Best Scholarships in Korea for International Students
1. Korean Government Scholarships (Undergraduate, Graduate)
- Full tuition, monthly stipend, airplane tickets, language training fee, settlement allowance, medical insurance
- You can either apply through a university track or embassy track. In my personal opinion, the embassy track is easier to apply through the university track. For more information about the specific application procedures, please see Korean Government Scholarship Scholarships.
Korean Government is offering Korean scholarships to international students. These scholarships are all fully funded scholarships that cover the tuition and living expenses while you study in Korea. The purpose of this scholarship is to attract talented international students to study in Korea and to contribute to Korean society.
Students who receive the Korean Government Scholarships are eligible to study in any university that is affiliated with this program. If you receive these scholarships, you can study in many excellent universities in Korea.
2. Seoul National University Scholarships (Undergraduate, Graduate)
- Fully Funded for undergraduate, Master’s, and PhD
- If you are interested in this scholarship, you need to go to Seoul National University Scholarships for more information about the application procedure.
Seoul National University is one of the Ivy Leagues of Korea called the “SKY” universities. “Sky” universities consist of Seoul National University, Yonsei University, and Korea University. This university is the most well-known university in Korea, and many Korean students’ dream is to attend this excellent university.
This university offers fully funded scholarships for undergraduate, Master’s and PhD students who wish to study in SNU. Many scholarships are awarded each year, but it is difficult to receive those scholarships because of the tough competition.
3. Yonsei University Scholarships (Undergraduate)
- Full tuition for undergraduate
- Yonsei University offers international students great scholarships to study in their university. If you want more information about this scholarship, visit Yonsei University Scholarships.
As previously mentioned, Yonsei University is a part of the Ivy Leagues in Korea. The unique aspect of Yonsei University is that it has an international college for undergraduate students called the Underwood International College. The students and the professors in this college come from all over the world. Since it is an international college, all classes are taught in English. This university offers international students full tuition scholarships to study at Yonsei.
4. Korea University Scholarships (Undergraduate, Graduate)
- Full tuition for undergraduate students and fully funded for graduate students
- This excellent university offers many scholarships to international students in South Korea. Please go to Korea University Scholarships Article for more information about the application procedure.
Korea University is a prestigious university in South Korea that is offering fully funded and full tuition scholarships to international students. This university is especially well known for their non-STEM majors such as humanities, business, and political science. Although Korea University is known for its non-stem majors, their STEM programs are one of the leading programs in Korea.
5. KAIST Scholarships (Undergraduate, Graduate)
- Fully Funded for undergraduate, Master’s, and PhD
- KAIST Scholarship Article has updated application procedures to apply for scholarships. Please visit that link for application procedure.
KAIST was established as the first research university in Korea. This university is less than 50 years old but established itself as one of the best universities in the area of science and technology globally. The large sums of funds from the Korean Government and global companies such as Samsung and Hyundai helps the research in KAIST to have great accomplishments.
Because of the large sums of funds, EVERY student that gets admitted to KAIST will have fully funded scholarships. That applies to all the undergraduate, Master’s, and PhD students whether they are domestic or international students. Also, all classes in KAIST are conducted in English to help the graduates of KAIST to think and communicate globally.
6. Hanyang University Scholarships (Undergraduate, Graduate)
- 70% tuition for undergraduate, full tuition for combined Master’s and PhD.
- Hanyang University Scholarships has great guides on how to apply to Hanyang University. Please look at this page for more information.
Hanyang University is located in Seoul, the capital of Korea. Hanyang is the older name for Seoul which was used hundreds of years ago. This university offers hundreds of majors for thousands of students that attend Hanyang University. This excellent university has produced many successful alumni including the chairman of Hyundai Motors and CEO of Hyundai.
Hanyang University offers many fully funded scholarships to its students. For example, it has awarded approximately 97.6 million dollars each year in scholarships alone!
7. Kyung Hee University Scholarships (Undergraduate, Graduate)
- Full tuition for undergraduate and graduate students
- Please see Kyung Hee University Scholarships for more information.
Kyung Hee University is an excellent university that offers many South Korean scholarships to international students. This university has produced many successful alumni which includes the current Korean President, Moon Jae-In. Also, it’s famous for its medical schools which combine the Oriental practices with Western practices.
8. Hankuk University of Foreign Studies Scholarships (Undergraduate)
- Full Tuition Korean scholarships for undergraduate students
- Please see HUFS Scholarships Page for more information about about the application procedures.
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (HUFS) is widely known as the best universities in Korea in the field of foreign studies such as languages, international relations, and international law. Although it is known for its foreign studies program, HUFS also teaches engineering, natural science, and business also.
9. Sogang University Scholarships (Undergraduate, Graduate)
- Full tuition Korean scholarships for undergraduate, and fully funded scholarships for graduate students
- The Sogang University Scholarship Page explains the application procedure thoroughly.
Sogang University is a fabulous university in Seoul which has produced many well-known alumni. The most notable is a Korean President and the CEO of Hyundai. It is offering fully funded scholarships in Korea for international students who have great potential.
10. UNIST Scholarships (Undergraduate, Graduate)
- Fully funded scholarships for undergraduate and graduate student, which includes tuition, room, and board
- There is no application fee for international students. For official scholarship website and application forms, please see UNIST Scholarships Page.
UNIST (Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology) is one of the national universities in Korea that is devoted to science and technology. KAIST is another example of the national universities that is like UNIST. It was founded in 2007 but has grown very quickly to become one of the most competitive universities in Korea. Now, it is offering Korean scholarships for international students.
11. Inha University Scholarships (Undergraduate, Graduate)
- Fully funded scholarships for both undergraduate and graduate students
- Inha University does not charge application fees for international students. Please visit Inha Universtity Scholarships Page for application procedures and application forms.
Inha University was founded by the first President of Korea as the Inha University of Technology. However, it has changed its name to Inha University after several years. This university is especially strong in its engineering program, often ranking as the one of the top universities in the nation for engineering.
12. PosTech Scholarships (Undergraduate, Graduate)
- Undergraduate and graduate students can receive up to fully funded scholarships covering tuition and living expenses.
- Please visit the POSTECH Scholarship Page for application procedures. This article will give you the basic information about POSTECH and also will provide you with the application procedures.
PosTech is a university similar to KAIST. It is located in Pohang, Korea and closely collaborates with POSCO, one of the leading companies in steel manufacturing. While KAIST is larger, POSCO is smaller and provides students with great opportunities to collaborate with the world-leading faculty. Many students studying at Postech receive full tuition and fully funded scholarships because it is heavily subsidized by the government.
13. Chung Ang University Scholarships (Undergraduate, Graduate)
- Up to full tuition scholarships are offered for both undergraduate and graduate students.
- Please take a look at Chung Ang University Scholarships for more information. In this article, you will be provided with basic information about the university. After you read the basic information, decide if you want to apply. If you do, keep reading and follow the application procedure found in this page.
Chung Ang University is located in Seoul and has a long history of providing an excellent education. Since 1918, it has provided thousands of students solid education to help them succeed. Now, it is providing South Korean scholarships for students who are wishing to study at Chung Ang University.
14. Sejong University Scholarships (Undergraduate, Graduate)
- Depending on Language Proficiency Scores, up to full tuition scholarships are awarded to international students.
- If you want to know the application procedures, you will need to look at Sejong University Scholarships Page. This article contains basic information about the university and links to the official scholarship pages from Sejong University’s website. So, definitely read this article to see if Sejong University is the right fit for you.
Sejong University was established in 1940 in Korea’s capital, Seoul. Students wishing to study in Korea can receive Korean scholarships from Sejong University. This excellent university already has over 16,000 students receiving a solid education. Now, you can join them by receiving scholarships
15. Konkuk University Scholarships (Undergraduate, Graduate)
- Undergraduate students can receive up to full tuition scholarships, and graduate students can receive up to 50% tuition scholarships.
- Konkuk University has provided international students clear guides for admissions and scholarships. To get the links from the official website, visit the Konkuk University Scholarships. If you go to that article, you will be able to see helpful information about Konkuk University.
Konkuk University is an excellent institution located in Seoul, Korea. This university is easily recognizable by many Koreans because of its tradition in fabulous academics. Since 1931, it has produced many leaders in Korea in different fields such as politics, business, law, science, and engineering. Now, this university offers Korean scholarships for international students who want to study in this nation.
16. University of Seoul Scholarships (Undergraduate, Graduate)
- The University of Seoul offers both undergraduate and graduate students full-tuition scholarships based on need and merit.
- There are clear guidelines that the University of Seoul has provided in its official websites. To view the details, visit the University of Seoul Scholarships. Read the basic introduction to the University of Seoul and the application procedure before you decide to apply!
The University of Seoul is an excellent university that is located in Seoul, Korea. Some students confuse this university with Seoul National University. These are two different universities, and both are excellent. The University of Seoul receives much funding from the government and has been able to cut its tuition in half. Also, it is able to offer Korean scholarships to international students.
17. SeoulTech Scholarships (Undergraduate, Graduate)
- Full Tuition, Meal, and Dormitory scholarships for undergraduate students and full tuition scholarships for graduate students
- Please see the SeoulTech Scholarships Page for application procedure
Seoul National University of Science and Technology is an excellent university located in Seoul, South Korea. It is one of the best university in South Korea for technology and science. So, if you are interested in those fields, I highly recommend you to apply!
18. Pusan National University Scholarships (Undergraduate)
- Full Tuition, Living Expenses for undergraduate students
- Please see Pusan National University Scholarships for application procedure
Pusan National University is currently ranked in top 10 universities in Korea. It has one of the best facilities in Korea since its foundation in 1946. Now, it is one of the largest universities in the world with around 30,000 students.
19. Mokpo National University Scholarships (Undergraduate, Graduate)
- Full Tuition for undergraduate and graduate students
- Please See Mokpo National University Scholarships Page for application procedure
Mokpo National University is offering great scholarships in Korea for international students. Definitely consider applying to this university!
20. Kookmin University (Undergraduate, Graduate)
- Half Tuition for undergraduate students and Full Tuition for Graduate students
- Please see Kookmin University Scholarship Page for application procedure
Kookmin University is one of the first private universities established in Korea after liberation of Korea. Now, there are around 14,000 undergraduate students and 2,000 graduate students at this university studying various subjects.
How to Apply for Korean Scholarships
- From this list of scholarships in Korea, research each university and create a list of universities that you are interested in.
- Read each university’s application guides and research their admission criteria such as English Proficiency Test score and GPA when you are creating the list.
- Also, consider the difficulty of admissions and include reach, match, and safety schools for your scores. (Depending on your strength of the application, reach schools are very difficult schools for admissions, match schools are schools that you have a chance in being admitted, and safety schools are you can be sure that you will be admitted. You might not have any safety schools depending on your strength of the application.)
- Prepare your application documents such as recommendation letters, admission forms, CV, etc.
- Submit your applications to the university via the preferred application method (online or mail).
Comprehensive Admission Guide for Korean Scholarships
I have created a comprehensive admission guide for scholarships in Korea. This article gives a detailed list of required documents and the reasons that you need to apply to Korean scholarships and universities. If you are interested, visit the Study in Korea Page!