Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) is offering fully funded scholarships to international students. MIT is located in Cambridge, Massachusetts and is one of the best universities in the world. This private university was founded in 1861 because of the rapid industrialization that was happening in the United States.
The United States was experiencing a boom in the industry with new factories appearing in every corner of this nation. As a result, more engineers and scientists to design new factories and machines, and MIT was founded to satisfy the demand for new technicians.
After its foundation, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology experienced a rapid expansion into one of the best universities in the world. It has produced many scientists and engineers who have pioneered the frontiers of science by making new discoveries.
MIT is now regarded as the most prestigious universities in the world, a university which a majority of people globally recognizes.
Currently, Massachusetts Institute of Technology has approximately 11,000 students in its campus. Around 4,000 students are undergraduate students, and 7,000 students are graduate students. Also, the number of international students in Massachusetts Institutes of Technology are very high. There are 430 undergraduate international students and 2,873 graduate international students at MIT.
Most of these students are receiving MIT scholarships to fund their studies. In this article, we will go over specifics of MIT scholarships for international students.
Scholarships in USA
Applying to only MIT Scholarships is dangerous as you probably know since MIT is a “reach” university for everyone. You should check out some of these other scholarships:
Other “reach” universities:
- Harvard University Scholarships
- Yale University Scholarships
- Stanford University Scholarships
- Princeton University Scholarships
- Columbia University Scholarships
Here are some safety universities that give generous scholarships:
- University of Alabama Scholarships
- Arizona State University Scholarships
- University in Arizona Scholarships
If you want to know about other scholarships, You should check out the Best Scholarships in USA!
Here are some additional posts that will increase your chances of studying in USA.
- 7 Ways to Increase your Chances of Getting a Scholarship
- How to Pay less than $5,000 a year to study in America
- Best Scholarships in USA for International Students
- How to Study in USA without IELTS
- 73 Universities with No Application Fees
MIT global rankings are very high. According to QS World, a very reputable ranking system, it is ranked as first in the global rankings. According to Times Rankings, it is ranked as second-best university in the world. In most rankings, it is ranked as the top ten best universities in the world. So, what do these high rankings mean?
It could mean several things. First, since MIT is very prestigious, the name-value could have an impact on the world rankings. However, the quality of the education received in the MIT is the most important factor in its high rankings. The challenging curriculum and the excellent professors are the determining factors in the world rankings.
MIT Tuition and Fees
Frankly, MIT tuition and fees are very expensive for both domestic and international students. The MIT undergraduate and graduate tuition are $49,580 per year. The graduate tuition can be greater depending on the graduate programs.
Also, room and board for MIT are $14,210 per year which is added to the tuition. These high tuition, room, and board are very expensive for the majority of students.
However, MIT scholarships are one of the best scholarships in the world. Scholarships from MIT can cover the full cost of attendance, helping international students with financial difficulty to attend this prestigious university. If you want to learn more about MIT scholarships, keep reading!
MIT Scholarships (Undergraduate)
MIT offers many need-based scholarships to international students. For example, the average need-based MIT scholarships were approximately $45,000 a year. 33% of all students attended MIT for free, and 72% of the graduates graduated with no student loans. These figures show that MIT scholarships are excellent to provide you the means to study at MIT.
All MIT scholarships are need-based which means that the amount rewarded will depend on your individual family circumstances. MIT does not offer any merit scholarships to students because everyone who is admitted to MIT has a great academic background.
How to Apply to MIT
International students who are applying to MIT follow the same guidelines as the domestic students with one exception. International students need to submit a test of English proficiency such as TOEFL. I have broken down the application procedures for international students in these steps.
- All interested international students need to make a new account in the MIT Application.
- Students need to complete the MIT Application as well as to submit the required documents (see below).
- Students need to complete the financial aid documents also if they want to apply for MIT scholarships.
Required Documents for MIT Admissions for International Students
- Standardized Scores (one of two options)
- Option 1- SAT or ACT as well as two SAT Subject Tests (One in math and one in sciences).
- Option 2- TOEFL (IELTS not accepted) as well as two SAT Subject Tests (One in math and one in sciences).
- For more information about the standardized score requirements, visit the MIT Admissions Page.
- Biographical Form
- Essays, Activities, and Academics
- Evaluation from two teachers
- Secondary School Report including high school transcripts
- February Updates and Notes From (including midyear grades)
- Application Fee of $75 or Application Fee Waiver
All the required documents are located in MIT Application. Unlike domestic students, international students are not required to do interviews. For more information about these required documents, visit the Deadlines and Requirements Page.
I highly recommend you to use a free grammar checking tool ProWritingAid Grammar Checker to check your grammar before submitting your essays. It is one of the best tools out there and it is free!
- Early Action- November 1
- Regular Action- January 1
How to Apply for MIT Scholarships (Undergraduate)
Applying to MIT scholarships is pretty straightforward for international students. International students are not eligible for federal aid, so they would not need to fill out FAFSA. However, they are eligible for institutional scholarships, so they would need to fill out the CSS Profile.
Required Documents for MIT Scholarships for International Students
- CSS Profile (For information, visit How to File the CSS Profile.
- Parents’ Income Statement
- If the parents are divorced, students need to submit Non-Custodial Parent’s Profile.
- For more information about these required documents, visit Required Documents for MIT Scholarships.
- CSS Profile and Income Statement- February 15
MIT Scholarships (Master’s and PhD)
For undergraduate students, financial aid is very centralized for all departments. However, financial aid is awarded by individual departments for graduate students. Therefore, the application and the financial aid documents differ from each department. In this section, I will do my best to break down the application procedure for graduate international students.
There are many opportunities for Master’s students such as the teaching assistantships, research assistantships, and fellowships. For PhD students, it is very common for them to receive MIT scholarships that give full tuition, stipend, and health insurance for all their years in this school.
Types of MIT Scholarships
Research Assistantships (RA)
- Doctoral- $37,128 per year
- Master’s- $33,924 per year
Teaching Assistantships (TA)
- Contact- $38,016 per year
- Support- $34,272 per year
For more information about these positions, visit Stipend Rates Page.
Graduate students will be eligible for fellowships awarded by either individual departments or external organizations. Students who are admitted to the programs will be notified of any fellowship opportunities or receive fellowships in their financial package.
How to Apply to MIT (Graduate)
As stated earlier, graduate admission procedure for each department is different from undergraduate admissions. However, there are some common aspects that can be found in the applications for different departments. This section will explain the common aspects.
- Submission of an online application that can be found on each department’s homepage.
- $75 application fee
- Letters of Recommendation
- Statements of Objectives
- Official GRE scores
- Official TOEFL or IELTS scores
- CV or resume
Deadlines for Different Departments
The MIT Scholarships deadlines are different for each department. To see the specific deadline dates, visit Fields of Study Page.
How to Apply for MIT Scholarships (Graduate)
You will either receive the fellowships or receive the application procedures on how to apply for MIT Scholarships after you are admitted to MIT.
More Scholarships in USA
There are plenty of other universities in USA that offers scholarships to international students. To see all the scholarships, visit USA Scholarships Page!