22 Cheap Universities in Canada
Do you want to study in Canada and still pay affordable tuition fees? Then, this article about cheap universities and colleges in Canada is for you! Before you decide to study at a Canadian university as an international student, you need to evaluate why you want to study in Canada. Let’s look at some of the most common reasons.
Why are Canadian Universities and Colleges so Popular among International Students?
First, international students are attracted to the high rankings of Canadian universities and colleges. Universities such as University of Toronto, McGill University, McMaster University, and University of British Columbia rival the Ivy Leagues and prestigious universities in the United Kingdom. Also, these universities offer great scholarships to international students unlike some of the universities in the US! You can check University of Toronto Scholarships, McGill University Scholarships, University of British Columbia Scholarships, and McMaster University Scholarships for more information about these scholarships.
Second, international students wish to study in Canada is the beautiful nature in Canada. This country is known for its beauty and has fascinating animals and plants. Since places like Vancouver, Quebec, and Nova Scotia are famous tourist attractions, many international students wish to study in Canada to sightsee and view the beautiful and magnificent nature.
Third, Canadian universities and colleges offer undergraduate, Master’s, and PhD programs with affordable tuition. Also, professional degrees such as MBA and Medical doctors can be obtained by paying affordable tuition fees. I need to state that these tuition figures change according to your major, so numbers are an average.
Just on the side note, there are many countries that have cheap and even free tuition universities for international students! Check out USA, Germany, Norway, Europe, and Saudi Arabia for countries with free tuition universities.
Helpful Articles for International Students Applying to Canada Universities!
Before we take a look at these cheap universities in Canada. Here are some popular posts that international students have found very helpful. If you are interested in any of these posts, check them out!
- 3 Steps on How to Study in Canada for Free
- 3 Universities in Canada with No Application Fees
- How to Study in Canada Without IELTS
- Best Scholarships in Canada for International Students!
- 20 Universities in Canada with High Acceptance Rate for International Students
I hope that you find these posts to be helpful. Now, let’s jump into cheap universities in Canada!
Cheap Universities in Canada and Annual Tuition Fees for International Students (USD)
This is the average cost of Canadian universities with low tuition fees for international students. Since this is an average, it might not apply to you. So, please check the tuition links that I have listed below with each university to figure out exact tuition fees for your major and program.
|University Name||Average Undergraduate Tuition (International)||Average Graduate Tuition (International)|
|Canadian Mennonite University||$8,200||$13,000|
|Dominican University College||$11,200||$16,800|
|Memorial University of Newfoundland||$11,500||$5,000|
|Simon Fraser University||$11,500||$2,500|
|University of Prince Edward Island||$12,000||$10,000|
|University of Winnipeg||$13,000||$12,000|
|University of New Brunswick||$14,000||$7,000|
|University of St. Paul||$14,000||$12,000|
|Southern Alberta Institute of Technology||$14,000||$16,000|
|Mount Royal University||$15,000||NA|
|King's College University||$15,700||NA|
|University of Manitoba||$16,000||$11,000|
|Cape Breton University||$16,000||$14,000|
|University of Saskatchewan||$19,000||$7,500|
|University of Alberta||$24,000||$11,500|
|University of Ottawa||$26,000||$12,000|
Hopefully, this list of low tuition universities in Canada was informative. To increase your chances of attending Canadian universities, you need to be smart in where you put your application. You should apply to few “reach” universities where you apply to prestigious schools, (where your chances of acceptance are slim), few “match’ schools where you have a fairly good chance of getting accepted, and few “safety” schools where you have a very high chance of getting accepted. To help you to choose your “safety” schools, we’ve compiled a list of 20 Universities in Canada with Highest Acceptance Rates. By applying to few of these universities, you will increase your chances of studying in Canada dramatically.
On the same note, if you are interested in studying in the USA, here’s good news for you. There’re actually universities with 100% acceptance rates! You should check out the list of 10 Universities with 100% Acceptance Rates. These universities have admitted every student that has applied to their university, and these universities give high-quality educations as well!
If you are a great student and want to study in Canada with free tuition, you should check out How to Study in Canada for Free. By receiving scholarships, international students can have free tuition in Canada even in the most prestigious universities like University of Toronto.
On the same note, you should also take a look at 16 Free Tuition Universities in the US. These universities have free tuition for both domestic and international students. Please note that some require you to work as well.
Now, let’s look at the summaries of the low tuition universities in Canada for international students!
Brief Description of Cheap Universities in Canada
University of Alberta
- University of Alberta Scholarships
- University of Alberta was established by two men whose names are Rutherford and Tory. These men were influential in establishing other universities in Canada. It’s huge endowment of 1.2 billion dollars helps the university to operate and also lower the tuition. It has some departments that are ranked in the top 100 programs in the world.
- McMaster University Scholarships
- McMaster University is a renown university in many academic fields such as engineering, MBA, nursing, humanities, and arts. It is a historic university and was formed in 1887. It has a great curriculum and constantly ranks in the top 100 universities in the world. Also, compared to other universities in its level such as UPenn or Northwestern in USA, it provides cheap MBA and Master’s degrees in Canada.
University of Ottawa
- University of Ottawa Scholarships
- University of Ottawa Acceptance Rate
- University of Ottawa is a large public university located in Ottawa, Ontario. It provides lectures in both English and in French making it one of the largest bilingual universities in the world. It is also the prestigious member of U15, which is a group of Canadian Universities that has been acknowledged for their research efforts. Currently, there are 35,000 undergraduates and 5,000 graduate students that are studying at this fabulous university.
- Dalhousie University Scholarships
- Dalhousie University Acceptance Rate
- Dalhousie University University is another famous Canadian university. This public research university is located in Nova Scotia. It provides great research programs to its students so that these students might be prepared for the future. Also, Dalhousie University is ranked appoximately 300th university globally. Compared to other universities in US or UK that are ranked around the same, it provides its undergraduate, Master’s, and PhD degrees for a cheap tuition.
University of Saskatchewan
- University of Saskatchewan Scholarships
- University of Saskatchewan Acceptance Rate
- University of Saskatchewan has a high acceptance rate of approximately 70%. This high acceptance rate is good news for international students who wish to study in Canada because it is easier to be accepted to this excellent university. Also, international students can take advantage of the fact that University of Saskatchewan is a cheap Canadian university with great academics.
Memorial University of Newfoundland
- Memorial University of Newfoundland Acceptance Rate
- Memorial University of Newfoundland is a relatively easier Canadian university to be admitted because its admission rate of 66.8% admission rate. Also, this university is popular especially to international students because it is a cheap university in Canada. Its medicine, education, and geology departments are one of the best in Canada, so students interested in these fields should definitely apply.
University of Winnipeg
- University of Winnipeg Acceptance Rate
- The University of Winnipeg is a Canadian university with low tuition fees for international students and is home to approximately 10,000 students. Its focus is on undergraduate students, and it has received good rankings in undergraduate education because of its focus. Also, it offers this superb education to both domestic and international students for affordable tuition fees.
University of New Brunswick
- University of New Brunswick Acceptance Rate
- University of New Brunswick is a fabulous institution in Canada. It has a strong curriculum in a variety of subjects including science, engineering, nursing, and medicine. Prospective students should take a look at University of New Brunswick and what the university has to offer.
- Brandon University was established in 1889 and is one of the cheapest Canadian university with low tuition fees in arts, science, education, music, and nursing. There are 3,000 undergraduate students currently attend Brandon University, and you can become one too!
Simon Fraser University
- Simon Fraser University is a huge institution located in British Columbia Canada. It has many different campuses such as the one in Vancouver other than the main campus. Although it is often shadowed by the University of British Columbia, Simon Fraser University is still an excellent Canadian university that has a strong curriculum.
University of Prince Edward Island
- University of Prince Edward Island is one of the cheapest universities in Canada for international students. Its campus is beautiful and has around 130 acres of land. Students attending this university can study in various departments including veterinary medicine, chemistry, and physics.
Canadian Mennonite University
- This university is a relatively young university that was founded in 1999. It was established by merging three different universities to make a bigger university. It offers strong programs in MBA, business, fine arts, and theology. It also has various athletic programs such as soccer, basketball, and volleyball. Canadian Mennonite University is on the list of cheapest Canadian universities and colleges for undergraduate and Master’s programs.
Dominican University College
- This excellent cheap college in Canada is a Catholic institution located in Ontario. It was formed in 1900 and has an affiliation with Carleton University. It offers an affordable undergraduate, Master’s, and PhD degrees. Its strong academic areas are philosophy, history, and theology.
University of St. Paul
- This university is located in Ottawa, Canada. Similar to the Ottawa University that is located in the same city, University of St. Paul offers education in both French and in English. So, students who are more familiar with French can still receive fabulous education in Canada by attending these bilingual universities.
Southern Alberta Institute of Technology
- This fabulous university is located in Calgary and is a public university which was established in 1916. It has fabulous academic programs in the field of technology and automation. Since it is a public university, international students can attend this Canadian university by paying relatively cheap tuition for undergraduate, Master’s, and PhD programs.
Mount Royal University
- Mount Royal University was formed in 1910 and is one of the best public universities in Calgary, Alberta. It started as a junior college that transferred students to the University of Calgary, but it became a full-fledged university when it grew exponentially. Now, it has over 20,000 students who are studying in various academic fields such as aviation and nursing.
- This university is a Christian university that was formed in 1979. It currently has 750 students who are taught by 120 academic staff. This small environment really helps students to learn closely from the professors, giving them an edge. Some schools have hundreds of students in a big lecture hall, but King’s University has small classes.
University of Manitoba
- University of Manitoba Acceptance Rate
- University of Manitoba was established in 1877 as a public university. Since its establishment, it has grown exponentially. Now, it is 17th largest university in Canada and the largest in its province. Its student body is around 30,000 and is composed of many intelligent people.
Cape Breton University
- Cape Breton University is known to have a cheap MBA program in Canada. This university is currently located in Nova Scotia with other excellent universities in the area. It has a beautiful campus, and its surroundings are very pretty. They have millions of dollars in endowments which they spend in improving their curriculum and facilities for its students.
- Athabasca University’s specialty is online distance learning. The university was one of the first Canadian universities to implement this, and it was successful. Students in Canada and from around the world can take classes online and get a degree from this fabulous institution.
- Although there are graduate programs, Arcadia University focuses on undergraduate studies primarily. There are some Master’s programs and one doctorate program that are provided by the university. Arcadia University’s total enrollment is around 4,000, so it is a medium-sized Canadian university.
- Concordia University has around 45,000 students in its campuses and is one of the biggest Canadian universities. Also, it has a cheap MBA program in Canada, and its MBA program is one of the best. Also, there are hundreds of thousands of alumni that are successful in different fields which would help future alumni to be successful as well.
Canadian Universities with Low Tuition Fees for International Students by Degrees
Now, I will talk about which universities offer the most affordable degrees, which will lower your cost to study in Canada.
Cheapest Undergraduate Degree– Brandon University offers the most affordable undergraduate degree in Canada. It cost approximately $6,000 a year to study there.
Cheapest Masters Degree- Simon Fraser University is offering one of the cheapest Masters degrees in Canada. The average cost of studying Master’s program per year is $5,500.
Cheapest PhD Degree– Simon Fraser University is also the winner. This university offers Ph.D. degrees starting from $2,500.
Cheapest MBA Degree– Many students wonder about cheap MBA programs in Canada. The Memorial University of Newfoundland offers MBA program for $6,000, which is one of the cheapest MBA programs. You can get your MBA degree for only $12,000!
Application Procedures in Universities in Canada for International Students
Now we know which universities in Canada offer low tuition fees for international students, let’s take a look at the application procedure for international students. However, I cannot outline the specific application procedure because the information is different for different universities. I will teach you the basic information and how to find the information for yourself.
1. Go to the university website to application information.
You will need to figure out which universities in Canada that you want to apply and then go to their website. Every website has an apply or application section, so you will need to click on that. Read over BOTH the general application procedure and the specific procedures for international students. Here is an example from University of Ottawa. You can see that they have very specific information for international students. Like the page linked before, you will need to find guides that are intended for international students.
2. Check if you are eligible.
After you found the information on their website, you will need to now check if you are eligible. Some universities in Canada will have a requirement for GPA, and many will have for English Proficiency Tests. If you do meet the requirements, great! If not, you will need to either meet the requirements or look for other universities with lower requirements.
3. Application Type
The third thing that you need to figure out is the type of applications that the universities use. They will have it outline on their website, so you will need to find the information that is for you. For example, University of Ottawa requires undergraduate international students to use Ontario Universities’ Application Center. Other universities will have different application methods, so make sure to check how to apply.
4. Prepare the required documents, fill out the application form, and apply!
These are the four steps to apply. Although it sounds extremely simple, it takes weeks and even months to apply. Why that long? Because some international students are not eligible in areas such as the English proficiency exams and need time to increase their scores. So, make sure to give yourself plenty of time!
Cost of Studying in Canada
Now, you know all the Canadian universities with low tuition fees for international students. However, the tuition fees are not the only cost that goes into studying in Canada. You will have to pay for accommodation, food, and other fees. So, how do you reduce the cost of studying in Canada? You can receive scholarships!
Scholarships in Canada
This is a great list of all the cheap Canada universities. However, these cheap tuition fees can be even lowered by scholarships! You definitely should check out the list at Canada Scholarship Page if you want to have the possibility of studying in Canada for free.