12 Cheap Universities in China
Many international students want to study in China for various reasons. First, there are many high-ranked universities in China. Universities such as Tsinghua and Peking University are one of the highest ranked universities in the world and is in the same league as Harvard and Princeton University. These schools get much funding from different organizations and from the Chinese government. Through this great funding program, they are able to fund their research and also recruit best minds to research at their universities. Second, the tuition in China is cheap. Compared to its equals in the US, universities in China offer equivalent education for a much cheaper price even for international students. The tuition for all four years in some Chinese universities are cheaper than one year at some of the Western Universities. So, the cheap tuition in Chinese universities is what attracts international students to study in China.
To help those that want to view the tuition fees in prominent universities in China, I’ve compiled this list of tuition fees of Chinese universities. The link to the tuition fee is included so that you will have an easier time finding the official information. Also, the tuition fee link helps you to look up information that is specific to your major. I hope that this list will be a help to you as you go through this journey.
Cheapest Universities in China with Tuition Fee per Academic Year
|University||Undergraduate Tuition||Graduate Tuition|
|University of Hong Kong||$20,500||$18,600|
Description of Chinese Universities with Tuition Links
- Tuition Fee Link: http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/16903/list.htm
- Xiamen University in Xiamen, Fujian province was established in 1921 as Amoy University. It was founded by Tan Kah Kee, making it the first university in China to have been founded by an overseas Chinese. It is ranked in the top 20 in China and top 100 in the world. Although it is ranked very high, Xiamen University is one of the cheap Chinese universities which attracts many international students to study there.
University of Hong Kong
- Undergraduate Tuition Fee Link: http://www.aal.hku.hk/admissions/international/admissions-information?page=en/fees-and-scholarships
- Graduate Tuition Fee Link: http://www.aal.hku.hk/tpg/programme-fee-and-payment
- Located in Pokfulam, Hong Kong is one of the most prestigious universities in Asia, the University of Hong Kong. One of its notable achievements as a public research university is its successful isolation of the corona virus. The University of Hong Kong is a popular choice for international students worldwide.
- Tuition Fee Link: http://school.cucas.edu.cn/Shanghai-University-60/fee-structure/
- Shanghai University, one of the highly acclaimed research universities in China, has three campuses in Baoshan, Jing’an and Jiading districts in Shanghai, China. It is ranked 15th in China and 75th in the world. Shanghai University offers joint programs with University of Technology, Sydney, Rutgers Business School, and Grandes Écoles.
- Tuition Fee Link: http://iczu.zju.edu.cn/english/redir.php?catalog_id=232
- Zhejiang University is a selective and prestigious university in China. It is also one of the oldest and its library is one of the largest academic libraries in the country. Zhejiang University along with California Institute of Technology and Stanford University, are members of the Association of Pacific Rim Universities. Compared to Stanford and CalTech, this Chinese university offers much cheaper tuition fees.
- Tuition Fee Link: http://school.cucas.edu.cn/Fudan-University-47/fee-structure/
- Fudan University in Shanghai is one of the first institutions of higher education in China to accept international students. It is ranked in the top 5 in China, making it one of the country’s most selective and most prestigious universities. Fudan University has four campuses in downtown Shanghai, with 30,000 students in total.
- Tuition Link: http://www.isd.pku.edu.cn/HOME/ADMISSION/General_Information/General_Information.htm
- Peking University is a well-renowned university in China, having been ranked the best university in the country for the 11th consecutive year. Aside from its achievements as a major research university, it is also known for its role in the birth of China’s New Culture Movement and many other significant events.
- Tuition Link: http://school.cucas.edu.cn/Tsinghua-University-257/fee-structure/
- Tsinghua University in Beijing is among the world’s leading institutions of higher education in engineering and computer science. It is ranked higher than Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the National University of Singapore. However, the tuition fee at this Chinese university is much less than the universities mentioned above. Aside from being a public research university, it is also known for its dedication to self-discipline and social commitment.
- Tuition Link: http://oec.ujs.edu.cn/en/pages?cid=228
- Located in Zhenjiang in the Jiangsu Province, Jiangsu University is a well-renowned doctoral research university. It has institutional cooperation agreements with 87 universities worldwide, including Cornell University, Purdue University, and University of Rochester. It also co-built The Confucius Institute with Graz University (Austria), as well as a language and culture center.
- Tuition Link: http://www.istudy.sdu.edu.cn/en/?c=content&a=list&catid=255
- Shandong University is one of China’s largest universities by student population, with almost 60,000 full-time students. It has eight campuses in Jinan, Weihai, and Qingdao. Shandong University is a public comprehensive university classified as National Key University by the Chinese Ministry of Education and is directly supported by the national government.
- Tuition Links
- Beihang University is a major public research university in Beijing focused on technological and scientific research. It is among the key state universities in China and is a member of Project 211 and Project 985. Beihang University along with Groupe des Ecoles Centrales jointly established the Sino-French Engineer School in Beijing.
- Tuition Link: https://www.nju.edu.cn/EN/7060/list.htmhttps://www.nju.edu.cn/EN/7063/list.htm
- Founded in CE 258, Nanjing University is the oldest institution of higher education in China. It became a modern school in 1902 and a modern university in 1920. Today, it is ranked as one of the top comprehensive research universities and is a member of C9 League and Yangtze Delta Universities Alliance. Despite its excellent education, Nanjing University offers an affordable tuition to both Chinese and international students.
- Tuition Link: http://admission.whu.edu.cn/admission/show-2051.html
- Located at Luojia Hill in Wuhan, Hubei, Wuhan University is known to have one of the most beautiful campuses in China because of its architecture that blends Chinese and Western styles. It is also consistently ranked in the top 10 in the country. Wuhan University along with Duke University established Duke Kunshan University.
I hope that this list of cheap Chinese universities helped much. If you want to look at information about Chinese scholarships, visit China Scholarship Category.