6 Free Tuition Universities in Norway for International Students
Why would international students want to study in Norway? One answer is the academic excellence. Because of their excellence, universities in Norway are considered the best in the world. Many of them are ranked within 200th in the global rankings. Also, they have produced scientists, politicians, philosophers, and scholars who excel in their field. The alumni have received numerous prestigious awards such as the Nobel Prize. The academic excellence can be shown in the alumni and in the rankings.
Is the academic excellence of these Norwegian universities the only reason why international students would want to study in Norway? The short answer is no. Many international students are attracted to these free tuition universities that are free even for international students. These universities only charge the semester fee, and the tuition is free because it is subsidized. So, students can focus on paying the living costs and do not have to worry about the tuition fees unlike other highly recognized institutions in other countries.
List of Free Tuition Universities in Norway, Descriptions, and Tuition Links
- Brief Description- Oslo University is one of the best Norwegian universities and is also globally recognized to be a prestigious institution. Since 1811, it has produced many outstanding alumni some of whom won the Nobel Prize. International students can study at this free tuition university in Norway! They only need to pay a small semester fee to study. There is a language restriction, however, because all bachelor’s degrees are taught in Norwegian, and Master’s and PhD programs are taught in English or Norwegian. So, if you want to study bachelor’s degree, you will need to have proficiency in Norwegian, and if you want to study Master’s or PhD programs, you will need to have proficiency in either Norwegian or in English.
- Free Tuition Link- http://www.uio.no/english/studies/admission/financing-requirements.html
- Master’s and PhD Courses Offered in English- http://www.uio.no/english/studies/programmes/#topic=&type=
NTNU: Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Brief Description- This university is the largest university in Norway and currently enrolls over 40,000 students, which includes international students. As its name suggests, Norwegian University of Science and Technology focuses on STEM fields. Also, it offers students to study in other fields such as arts, humanities, and languages. International students who want to study at this University in Norway should have Norwegian proficiency and/or English proficiency depending on the program.
- Free Tuition Link- https://www.ntnu.edu/studies/financing-and-scholarships
- Master’s Courses offered in English- https://www.ntnu.edu/studies/international/master
University of Bergen
- Brief Description- This institution was founded in 1946 and has provided great programs in medicine, pharmacy, mathematics, computers, economics, psychology, sociology, languages, law, etc. It has constantly been ranked in the top 100-200th place in the major ranking systems such as the Times Higher Education Ranking and QS World Rankings. International students can study at this great Norwegian University with free tuition! You should note that all bachelor’s programs are offered in Norwegian, and Master’s programs are offered in Norwegian or English.
- Free Tuition Link- https://www.uib.no/en/education/49914/how-apply-admission-studies
- Master’s Courses Offered in English- https://www.uib.no/en/education/50057/international-masters-degree-programmes
The Arctic University of Norway (University of Tromso)
- Brief Description- The Arctic University of Norway is known for being the university that is located in the most northern parts of the world. Because of the recent merger with different universities, it has six campuses in which international students can study from. The main campus is the one in Tromso. Students can study dentistry, medicine, engineering, chemistry, philosophy, tourism, education, culture, etc. There are several English programs as well.
- Free Tuition Link- https://en.uit.no/utdanning/art?p_document_id=374659&dim=191037
- Courses Offered in English- https://en.uit.no/education
University of Agder
- Brief Description- This institution was founded in 2007, becoming one of the newest Norwegian universities. It has two campuses which are in Kristiansand and Grimstad. Students can study in these two campuses in one of six faculties that the University of Agder has.
- Free Tuition Link- https://www.uia.no/en/studies/exchange-students/living-costs
- Courses Offered in English- https://www.uia.no/en/studies
- Brief Description- Nord University is a recently established university in Norway and has grown exponentially since 2016. Currently, over 12,000 students attend this university studying various fields such as chemistry, physics, mathematics, humanities, economics, art, business, etc. There are courses that are offered in English, but if your desired degree is not offered in English, you will have to learn Norwegian.
- Courses Offered in English –https://www.nord.no/en/studies/programmes-courses/english-study-offers
- Free Tuition Link
If you want to look at scholarships in other European countries, visit the Europe Scholarship Category.