8 Tuition Free Universities in Germany for International Students
Why study in Germany as an international student? Because of the free tuition that these German universities provide for international students! There are numerous countries that charge tuition fees to international students, and some countries such as the USA, Canada, and Australia which charge anywhere from $10,000 to $50,000 per year in tuition. However, these German universities do not charge tuition because it is the policy of the government. Some private universities do charge tuition, but I have excluded them from the list.
Another reason for studying in Germany? Because of its excellent curriculum! German universities have produced great scientists, most notably Einstein, Planck, and Born. This fact attests to the fantastic academic programs and professors that these universities have. Not only in the STEM fields, but also in arts and humanities, universities in Germany are fantastic. So, many international students’ dream is to study in this country.
So how do you fulfill your dream? You need to have a good GPA, good test scores in IELTS or TOEFL, and German proficiency test if your degree requires you to. Then, you will need to apply by completing the application form, submitting required documents, and fulfilling the eligibility criteria. Apply to as many universities to increase your chances, but don’t apply to too many because you will not be careful with your application. Around 10-15 is sufficient for undergraduate, and around 5-10 is sufficient for Master’s and PhD.
List of Universities in Germany for International Students that are Tuition Free
- Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
- Humboldt University of Berlin
- University of Mannheim
- University of Cologne
- RWTH Aachen University
- Technical University of Munich
- University of Hamburg
- Free University of Berlin
Description of Tuition Free Universities in Germany
- Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich – This institution was started in 1472 and has been continuing to operate since then. Because of the large funding of over 1.7 billion euros every year, it is able to provide education to students without charging any tuition fees. This is a great news for international students because with the free tuition, they can better afford to finance their education.
- Humboldt University of Berlin– Do you want to study at a free German university that has produced over 50 Nobel Prize Winners? If so, you should definitely check Humboldt University of Berlin! The famous scientists such as Albert Einstein were part of the faculty here, which shows its excellence in the natural sciences. It is also one of the best universities in the world for arts and humanities, so definitely check this university out!
- University of Mannheim– This university is a relatively young university that was founded in 1967. It now has around 12,000 students that study at this German university for free. International students that are accepted to University of Mannheim can study in Business School, School of Humanities, School of Economics and Law, etc.
- University of Cologne– If you are interested in studying at a huge German university, definitely take a look at University of Cologne. It currently has over 40,000 students, which is one of the largest student body in Germany. Because of that, the university offers numerous courses on various subjects. Take advantage of the numerous courses and study whatever you desire!
- RWTH Aachen University– Do you want to study at a German technical university that is ranked in the top in Germany for engineering, science, and medicine as an international student? If yes, you should definitely consider studying at RWTH Aachen University! It is excellent in those fields, and also it is one of the most internationally minded German universities. It has partnerships with excellent institutions such as TU Delft and ETH Zurich. International students will be welcomed at this great university in Germany.
- Technical University of Munich– Another excellent technical university is that of Munich, which rivals RWTH Aachen University. It has produced 17 Nobel Laureates since its establishment in 1868, which demonstrates the great education it provides. For international students that are interested in STEM fields, think about applying for admissions at this free German university.
- University of Hamburg– Since 1919, this university has educated thousands of scholars, many of whom have enriched the lives of many around them. With the endowment of over 600 million euros, it is and continues to be one of the best German universities for international students.
- Free University of Berlin– Established during the Cold War Era, the Free University of Berlin represented the Freedom of the West Berlin, which was the stark contrast to the lack of freedom in East Berlin. International students can attend this recognized university for free! So apply!
Video on Universities in Germany for International Students
Video on How to Apply to Universities in Germany for International Students
If you want scholarship information in other countries, visit uscollegeinternational.com!