If you want to study medicine in Arkansas, you have a couple of options. The two medical schools in Arkansas are University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences and Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine. This article will have the tuition link, admissions link, and brief description of these medical schools; and also look at the differences between these two schools.
Medical Schools in Arkansas Links and Descriptions
UAMS College of Medicine
- Tuition- http://studentfinancialservices.uams.edu/tuition-and-fees/college-of-medicine-tuition-fees/
- Admissions Guide- https://medicine.uams.edu/for-medical-school-applicants/applicant-guide/
- Brief Description- UAMS is a public university in Little Rock, Arkansas. Founded in 1879, it has grown to be a leading medical school in Arkansas. Because of the need for doctors in Arkansas, UAMS has expanded to other parts of the state to increase their enrollment. Also, they have collaborated with other hospitals to allow more students to do clinical rotations. UAMS is an allopathic medical school, and the graduates receive M.D. degrees.
Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Tuition- http://acheedu.org/cost-of-attendance/
- Admissions Guide- http://acheedu.org/
- Brief Description- This medical school was established in 2014 and began accepting students in 2017. Students can do clinical rotations in several hospital systems in Arkansas, which is a vital part of the curriculum. It has accreditation from the American Osteopathic Association. This school grants its graduates Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.) and not M.D. The difference between these two degrees will be explained in the next section.
What is the main difference between University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences and Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine?
The main difference is the degree that the university grants. UAMS grants M.D. degrees, and ACOM grants D.O. degrees. Students with these degrees are doctors, but the degrees have a small difference in their specialization. D.O. degrees tend to specialize in certain areas more, and M.D. degrees tend to specialize in other areas. However, there is not much difference between the two degrees.
Medical Schools in Other States and Countries
If you are interested in other medical schools, visit this category.