London School of Economics (LSE) Acceptance Rate

Do you want to know the acceptance rate for London School of Economics? If so, you have come to the right place. But before we get to the acceptance rates, let’s look at the background information. The London School of Economics, otherwise known as the LSE, is one of the most prominent social science universities in the world. The LSE is a public university located in the Westminster District of London, the capital city of the United Kingdom. It is part of the larger University of London system.

In 2018, the QS World University Rankings ranked the London School of Economics the number-one social science institution in Europe, and second overall in the world. Thirteen disciplines offered at LSE were ranked in the global top ten. QS World University Rankings ranked the LSE second in the world for geography, third in the world for Social Policy and Adminstration, and fourth in the world for Anthropology and Sociology. The LSE is consistently ranked as one of the top fifteen universities in the United Kingdom.

The LSE has 23 academic departments and offers roughly 140 Masters of Science programs. Some of the most popular areas of study at LSE are sociology, psychology, criminology, and anthropology. LSE was the first university to offer International Relations as an academic discipline.

The London School of Economics enrolls 11,960 students—5,090 undergraduate students and 6,870 graduate students. The student body is evenly split between men (49%) and women (51%). In 2017, 20,000 prospective students applied to LSE, 4,500 of whom were accepted. Students at LSE come from nearly 150 different countries around the globe: 53% from Europe, 10% from North America, 3% from South America, 32% from Asia, 2% from Africa, and 1% from Australia. LSE students speak over 100 different native languages. Interestingly, LSE enrolls students from more countries than the United Nations.

The school’s mascot is a beaver, chosen because it is a hard-working, yet sociable animal. The student newspaper is named The Beaver, and all of LSE’s sports teams call themselves The Beavers.

LSE has over two hundred student societies and forty-eight sports clubs. The University hosts roughly 200 public events a year. Famous speakers at the school include former U.S. president Bill Clinton, the Dalai Lama, Nelson Mandela, and former Facebook CEO Sheryl Sandberg.

After graduation, the most common profession for LSE alumni is banking and finance, followed by research and education. Over 90 percent of LSE graduates are working or enrolled in advanced studies six months after graduation.

The London School of Economics was formally founded in 1895 by Sidney Webb, a renowned British economist, and his wife, Beatrice Webb. In 1900, LSE joined the University of London system.

LSE Alumni have won eighteen Nobel Prizes. Fifty-three LSE alumni have become heads of state. Famous alumni of the London School of Economics include George Bernard Shaw, playwright and critic; Bertrand Russell, author and Nobel Laureate; and economists Friedrich Hayek and Paul Krugman. As of 2018, twenty members of the  British House of Commons and forty-six members of the House of Lords graduated from the London School of Economics.

London School of Economics Admission Rate

So, what is the acceptance rate for London School of Economics? According to UCAS statistics, the acceptance rates for LSE in 2017 was 38.4%. Here are the previous years rates:

Year201220132014201520162017
Acceptance Rate34.1%28.7%36.4%37.0%37.1%38.4%

You can see that LSE is pretty competitive. If you want to see the breakdown of all these results according to gender and ethnicity, visit LSE Acceptance Rates Page.

I hope that this article was helpful for you. If you want to see other universities’ acceptance rates, visit acceptance rates category.

[Total: 10    Average: 3.9/5]