Do you want to know the specific acceptance rate of the University of Birmingham? In this article, we will show you the specific details about this university. But before that, let’s learn about the background information.

The University of Birmingham, also known as Birmingham University, is a public research institution located in Birmingham, United Kingdom. It received its royal charter in 1900. The historical predecessors of the University of Birmingham were the Queen’s College, which opened in 1825, and Mason College, founded in 1875. The University of Birmingham was the first “red brick” university to open in England. “Red Brick University” is a term for nine public schools that opened in major British industrial centers in the 1900s. The University of Birmingham belongs to the Russell Group, a group of 24 research institutions in the United Kingdom.

The University of Birmingham enrolls approximately 22,400 undergraduate students and 12,000 graduate students. Nearly 8,000 of those students come from countries outside the United Kingdom. In 2017, U.S. News and World Report ranked the university the 118th best institution in the world. In 2013, the QS World University Rankings ranked the university the 10th best university in England and 62nd in the world. The 2015 Complete University Guide ranked it 5th in the nation for its graduate school programs.

The University of Birmingham is divided into five colleges: Arts and Law; Engineering and Physical Sciences; Life and Environmental Sciences; Medical and Dental Sciences; Social Sciences; and Liberal Arts and Sciences. Each of these colleges is divided into various “schools.” The university houses nine libraries, the most renowned of which is the Shakespeare Institute’s library. The Shakespeare Institute is a primary resource for the study of Renaissance literature, including the works of William Shakespeare, in the United Kingdom. The University of Birmingham’s Medical School is one of the biggest medical schools in Europe, enrolling nearly 500 students.

Some of the top-ranked academic programs at the University of Birmingham include the School of Computer Science, ranked 1st in the United Kingdom by the 2014 Guardian University Guide; the School of Philosophy (ranked 3rd); and the Department of Political Science, which the annual  Hix rankings of Political Science programs ranked 4th in the nation and 22nd internationally.

The students at the University of Birmingham are represented by the Guild of Students, a student union. The Guild of Students oversees more the 200 student societies, including intramural sports clubs, volunteer societies, and student media groups. The student newspaper, called the Redbrick, is one of the oldest student newspapers in England. The University of Birmingham also has unique student groups called Nightline and Student Advice, both peer-to-peer student welfare groups.

The sports teams at the University of Birmingham are consistently rated one of the top four in the nation. The university is home to more than forty sports teams, such as rowing, football, cricket, field hockey, ice hockey, Gaelic football, and American football. More than 2,000 students play on a sports team.

Famous alumni of the University of Birmingham include Neville Chamberlain, former Prime Minister of England; Sir Peter Walters, former CEO and chairman of British Petroleum; four Nobel Prize laureates; and Perry Christie, Prime Minister of the Bahamas.

University of Birmingham Acceptance Rate

The acceptance rate of the University of Birmingham can be found in the UCAS statistics. This page is helpful because it has over 10 pages of detailed statistics about the admission rates. It breaks down into groups such as sex and ethnicity. According to the statistics, 81.8% of the student were accepted at the University of Birmingham.

We hope that this information on the University of Birmingham’s acceptance rate was useful to you. Make sure to also check out the Available Courses in the United Kingdom!

About the Author: Hyun Lee

Hyun is the founder at Global Scholarships. He has received a full-tuition scholarship at Birmingham-Southern College as well as $1,000 Burger King Scholarship for his undergraduate degree and has been offered a fully funded scholarship consisting of tuition, living stipend, and health insurance for computer science Ph.D. program at North Carolina State University. Read more about his scholarship journey here.

Share this article via

Leave A Comment