The University of Maine, or UMaine as it is commonly known, is one of the most reputed higher education establishments in New England and the best public university in the state of Maine. It began its existence back in1862 as the Maine College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts. Four years later, it accepted its first thirteen students. In this article, we will be looking at the acceptance rate at the University of Maine.

Stephen King graduated from the University of Maine in 1970. While at the university, he used to write a column titled Steve King’s Garbage Truck for The Maine Campus student newspaper. It was at the University of Maine, where King’s creative talent grew.

Today, the University of Maine has more than 9,000 students. Its campus spreads on more than 600 acres, and it currently occupies 177th place on the list of the US Best Universities. This big university offers a really wide variety of graduate and undergraduate programs – about ninety undergraduate majors and over seventy MA programs.

The BA Program in English, which the famous author finished in the 1970s, is not among the top choices of today’s students at the University of Maine. The most popular undergraduate major is Business, followed by Management and Marketing. You can take these popular majors by applying, and you will most likely be accepted due to the high acceptance rate at the University of Maine!

Living on campus is highly recommendable for first-year students. This accommodation option is the cheapest, the safest, and it will also give them many opportunities to socialize with other fellow freshmen and break in gradually. The deadline for filing a housing application is May 1st.

Two things to bear in mind, though. First, while browsing the on-campus living section of the university’s official website, I came across a line advertising “great water pressure”. This automatically tells me that there are, or there might have been, some issues with the water pressure in the area in general. Second, there is a whole section dedicated to pest control, with the emphasis being on how to deal with bedbugs.

Acceptance Rate at the University of Maine

With an acceptance rate of close to 90%, it shouldn’t be a problem to secure an admission at the University of Maine. The average GPA is just under 3.30, with an average SAT score of 1150 (new version) and an average ACT score of 24. Practically, the university is nearly an open-admission establishment.

The deadline for filing an application is March 1st, including an essay and one recommendation. This year, the average undergraduate tuition fee for Maine residents and U.S. Army veterans is just over $11,000, while the tuition fee for out-of-state residents is about $31,000.

According to their Cost Calculator, a first-year student who is a Maine resident is likely to spend a total of $26,000 a year on their studies, while a non-resident may spend up to $46,000 a year.

Applicants with a minimum GPA of 3.0, SAT score of 1,120 or higher, and an ACT score of 22 or higher are eligible to apply for the UMaine Flagship Award for First-Year Students. Depending on which state they come from, the amount of the scholarship varies from $12,000 to $16,000.

We hope that this article on the University of Maine acceptance rate was helpful. To know more information on studying abroad, check out the Available Programs for International Students.

About the Author: Hyun Lee

Hyun is the founder at Global Scholarships. He has received a full-tuition scholarship at Birmingham-Southern College as well as $1,000 Burger King Scholarship for his undergraduate degree and has been offered a fully funded scholarship consisting of tuition, living stipend, and health insurance for computer science Ph.D. program at North Carolina State University. Read more about his scholarship journey here.

Share this article via

Leave A Comment