IELTS Requirements at Canadian Universities

//IELTS Requirements at Canadian Universities

Canadian universities typically require an IELTS overall band score between 6.0 and 6.5. However, several celebrated Canadian universities will accept lower scores. Canada has been ranked the number one most desirable place to live and tuition in Canada is often significantly less than America, England, and Australia, making it an excellent place to seek higher-education studies! Read on to discover some of the most desirable Canadian Universities and the IELTS scores they recommend for admission.

Required IELTS Scores in Canada

1. McGill University

• IELTS Requirements – 6.5

McGill is a public university in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. While McGill offers both graduate and undergraduate degrees in over 300 fields of study, it is probably best known for its programs in Medicine, Science, and Engineering. The school is one of three English universities in Quebec, while other universities there use French. McGill is also notable for its 12 Nobel Laureates and 145 Rhodes Scholars, which is more than any other university in Canada. Prospective students seeking admission to McGill University should strive for an overall band score of 6.5 or higher and a minimum score of 6.0 on each individual section.

2. Niagara College

• IELTS Requirements – 6.5

The Niagara College of Applied Arts and Technology is a public university located in Southern Ontario. The university has a high concentration of international students and also attracts a high population of part-time students. Niagara offers special programs in unique fields like food and wine sciences as well as applied health and community safety. According to the provincial Student Satisfaction Survey, Niagara College boasts the number one spot in terms of student satisfaction with Canadian universities. The IELTS requirement for students considering Niagara is an overall band score of 6.0 and no less than a 5.5 on each individual section. Niagara College is also an official Test Venue for the IELTS exam.

3. Ryerson University

• IELTS Requirements – 6.5

Ryerson University is an urban, public institution located in Toronto, Ontario—Canada’s most diverse city. Nearby, students will find the Kensington Market, the Eaton Center, the Royal Ontario Museum, and the Maple Leaf Gardens. The University is known for its large undergraduate constituency and is ranked 4th in Ontario for enrollment size. Ryerson is also well-known for the Ted Rogers School of Management, which is Canada’s largest business school. The University offers Bachelor’s, Master’s, Doctoral, and even Part-Time degrees, as well as distance education opportunities. Anyone wishing to attend Ryerson should score a 6.5 overall on the IELTS exam.

4. University of Alberta

• IELTS Requirements – 6.5

The University of Alberta is a top 5 public school located in Edmonton, Alberta. UAlberta has several campuses, four of which are located in Edmonton. Each campus has its own specialty area and unique features. Take for example the North Campus, which resides on the beautiful Saskatchewan River Valley. The South Campus features the Saville Community Sports Center and is known for the university’s agriculture research. The engineering and science programs are also particularly reputable at UAlberta. The university facilitates more than 450 unique student organizations and clubs including a student newspaper and student-run radio station. The University of Alberta requires a minimum overall band score of 6.5 on the IELTS exam for admission.

5. University of Northern British Columbia

• IELTS Requirements – 6.5

UNBC is located in northern British Columbia, an area which is known for its magnificent mountain ranges and Pacific coastline. Nearby, Glacier National Park draws hikers, bicyclists, and nature enthusiasts alike to its picturesque landscape. While UNBC is considered a small school, it has been consistently ranked as the number one school of its size in Canada. It is also considered “Canada’s Green University” because of its attention to sustainability and environmentalism. Campus buildings were also designed based on elements of the Northern landscape, for example, the cafeteria has a lighthouse design representative of the coastline. Students seeking admission to the University of British Columbia should score at least an overall band score of 6.5 on their IELTS exam with no less than 6.0 in each of the four sections.

6. University of Saskatchewan

• IELTS Requirements – 6.5

The University of Saskatchewan is one of Canada’s top public research schools. The school is located in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and is the largest university in its province. It is highly regarded for its water and food security research. It is also ranked number one in water resources research in Canada. The university rests beside the south end of the Saskatchewan River and the university’s signature limestone buildings were made from local materials. To be fully qualified for admission to the University of Saskatchewan, applicants should have an overall score of 6.5 or more and no less than 6.0 in each individual section.

7. University of Toronto

• IELTS Requirements – 6.5

The University of Toronto is another of Canada’s top-ranked public research universities and is located in Queens Park. Researchers at the University of Toronto were actually the first to develop Insulin and were also the first to use stem-cell research. Notably, the university was also responsible for creating the world’s first practical electron microscope! Two major undergraduate facilities at UToronto include the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and the Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering. It ranks as one of the top 30 universities in the world. For the IELTS exam, the University of Toronto requires an overall band score of 6.5 with no less than a 6.0 in each individual part.

8. Victoria University

• IELTS Requirements –  6.5

Victoria University includes nine faculties and schools in fields such as business and education, engineering, fine arts, human and social development, the humanities, science, and social sciences. The university is also committed to research benefitting sustainability and contributing to a positive environmental impact. Located on campus is the Institute of Integrated Energy Systems, which is known for producing world-class research on sustainable and alternative energy solutions. For admission to Victoria University, students need to score a 6.5 overall and a minimum of 6 on each individual section.

I hope that this article on IELTS score requirements in Canadian universities was helpful! If you are interested, please visit the Canada Scholarship Page!

2019-09-12T20:31:40+09:00