If you’ve been paying any attention to the news in the past few years, you’ve probably heard China mentioned. This populous country in the heart of Asia is becoming more of a global superpower every year. Extending its resources and influence throughout the world, China is welcoming more international students than ever with each passing year. In Shanghai, the country’s most bustling city, the cost of living is still about half as cheap as in New York, drawing in more and more cash-strapped students who are eager to explore the varied cultures and historical sites that China has to offer.
Best Undergraduate Scholarships for International Students in China
It’s hard to narrow down all the incredible scholarships Chinese universities have to offer, but we’ve done some of the work for you. Listed below are some of the best scholarships for international students studying in China, all fully funded. The value of all award amounts is given in Renminbi (RMB), the national currency of China.
1. Biomedical Sciences Scholarships – Zhejiang University – University of Edinburgh Institute in Haining, China
- Value of award: Full or half tuition fees (approximately 200,000 RMB), exemption from accommodation fees (approximately 8,000 RMB), living allowance of up to 17,000 RMB per year, and international student medical insurance (approximately 3,200 RMB).
Since its founding in 1897, Zhejiang University has continuously ranked as one of China’s most selective, most prestigious, and, of course, oldest institutions of higher education. It is connected to a vast web of other elite universities in Asia and throughout the world, as a member of organizations such as the Association of Pacific Rim Universities, the Worldwide Universities Network, the International Association of Universities, the Global University Network for Innovation, and the Yangtze Delta Universities Alliance. This scholarship is awarded to students pursuing a Bachelor level degree in the field of Biomedical Sciences taught at Zhejiang University.
2. Full and Partial USTB (University of Science and Technology Beijing) Chancellor Scholarship in China
- Value of Award: Cost of tuition, housing, living allowance, comprehensive medical insurance, and a stipend of 2500 RMB/month
The University of Science and Technology Beijing, formerly known as Beijing Steel and Iron Institute, is, unsurprisingly, located in China’s bustling capital, Beijing. Suggested by its various names, the university is well regarded for its metallurgy and material science programs. With 16 schools and 48 undergraduate programs, there are so many different ways to joining the ranks of tomorrow’s builders and engineers. This university gives undergraduate scholarships in China for international students and the awards are fully funded or partial scholarships.
3. Jiamusi University Heilongjiang Provincial Government Scholarships Program in China
- Value of Award: Registration fees, tuition, basic materials, housing, and comprehensive medical insurance.
The government of Heilongjiang province, located in the northeasternmost corner of China, offers a scholarship for those interested in pursuing an undergraduate, postgraduate, or doctoral program. Established in 1947, Jiamusi University is settled in a large city of the same name and has a long history of multidisciplinary studies. The scholarship is comprehensive, with all the necessities and more covered.
4. Jiangsu Provincial Government Scholarships
- Value of Award: Tuition, registration, textbooks, free accommodations OR living stipend of 1500 RMB/month
On the east coast of China sits the populous Jiangsu province. One of the country’s leaders in fields such as technology, finance, and of course education, Jiangsu must be considered in any discussion of Chinese university studies. This full undergraduate scholarship in China, offered to bachelors and masters students, provides a waiver for tuition and registration, textbooks, medical insurance, and provides a monthly stipend, among other perks. Partial scholarships are also available, even for non-degree studies.
5. Anhui Government Scholarship for International Students
- Value of Award: 20,000 RMB/year
A province located in the eastern part of China, Anhui has been rolling out the welcome mat for international students. With more than twenty universities to choose from, the region offers a wide range of educational opportunities, regardless of the level of study. Available for bachelors, masters, and doctorate degrees, the scholarship’s wide applicability, being awarded by many universities in the province, is also probably its main drawback – you’re not the only one who will be applying. If you are looking for undergraduate scholarships in China for international students, this scholarship is a great choice!
6. Hubei Provincial Scholarships in China for all Nationalities
- Value of Award: 10,000 RMB/year
Open to all fields of study and degree levels, the Hubei Provincial Scholarships offer awards to students attending one of the province’s many nationally ranked institutions, providing a range of options for potential students. The provincial capital, Wuhan, has the largest college student population in the world, arguably making it the biggest college town ever. Understandably, it is considered a major Chinese hub for research and education.
I hope that this article on best undergraduate scholarships in China for international students was helpful. If you are interested, visit the China Scholarship Page!