Scotland is a UK constituent country that boasts of beautiful sceneries and world-class universities. It is home to more than 31,000 international students – 91% of which are more than satisfied with their education in the Kingdom of the Gaels.
While Scottish tuition is comparably affordable since it starts at only about GBP 10,000 (about $13,910), some students find this a high price to pay. If you’re one of them, you’ll be glad to know that there are Scotland Government Scholarships – such as the Saltire Scholarship – that may cover a certain amount of your studies.
- How to Study in UK for Free
- Cheap Universities in Scotland for International Students
- Best Scholarships in United Kingdom for International Students
Scotland Government Scholarship Awards
The Saltire Scholarship, one of the Scotland Government Scholarships, was created to facilitate the education of certain foreigners in Scottish universities. 50 applicants who wish to take a 1-year, full-time master’s degree in science, creative industry, technology, energy, and medical/health science are entitled to an award amounting to GBP 8,000 ($11,125) each.
The Saltire Scholarship is only open to citizens and permanent residents of Canada, China (with Hong Kong), India, Japan, Pakistan, and the United States
Apart from meeting the nationality clause, applicants must have received a conditional or unconditional offer from a Scottish university for any of the following fields:
- Science – Animals/Zoology, Botany/Plants, Climate/Weather, Earth Science, Environment, Geology
- Creative Industry – Animation, Broadcasting, Communications, Computer Games/Arts, Culture, Design, Fashion, Graphics, Industrial or Interior Design, Journalism, Publishing
- Technology – Bioinformatics, Computers, Engineering, Information, Multimedia, Software, Systems
- Medical and Health Science – Astronomy, Biology, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Health Science, Physical Science, Physics
- Energy – Biomass/Biofuels, Renewable Energy, Sustainable Engineering
Applicants must also meet the language requirements of the university. They must also demonstrate the capacity to finance the remaining study costs – plus the cost of living in Scotland.
As for skills and experience, potential Saltire Scholars must be interested in studying in Scotland – and have an aspiration to succeed in their chosen fields. Good interpersonal and communication skills are also needed given the programs that come with the Saltire Scholarship.
Students who have previously studied in Scotland – or have won the Saltire Scholarship previously – are considered ineligible for this program.
How to Apply to Scotland Government Scholarships
As mentioned, only students with university offers may apply for the Scotland Government Scholarship. That said, the process of applying starts with gaining admission to your university of choice.
In most universities, students who apply for a Master’s degree must meet the minimum requirement of a bachelor’s degree. In some programs, however, a related degree at Honors or second-class level is required.
For example, an American student who wishes to study an MSc in Analytical Chemistry at the University of Aberdeen will need to have a GPA of at least 3.3 to 3.5. This range is considered the equivalent of a UK 2.1 degree.
Apart from this, common documentary requirements that need to be submitted include degree transcripts, a personal statement, a copy of the passport page, a curriculum vitae, and reference letters.
Proof of English proficiency is also required from applicants whose first language is not English.
After gaining admission from your university, you may start your online application for the Saltire Scholarship. For this part, you will need to provide the following information:
- Full name
- Email address
- Scottish institution where you got accepted
- Student/application number from the said university
- Offer status
- Where you learned about the Saltire Scholarship (i.e. social media, word of mouth, etc.)
Apart from these vital data, applicants must also answer the following questions.
- What are your reasons to study in Scotland? Why did you choose the university and your program?
- How will the Saltire Scholarship enhance your career – as well as promote Scotland?
- What skills and experience do you possess in terms of communication and teamwork?
Applicants are required to limit their answers to 250 words.
Depending on the university, you may use your Saltire funding together with another scholarship award.
Once you are awarded the Scotland Government Scholarship, you will be required to do the following:
- Maintain a standard of conduct.
All Saltire Scholars are expected to uphold the reputation of the program in their respective universities.
- Participate in extra-curricular events.
Saltire Scholars are expected to attend the welcome reception and the end-of-year conference. Students may only be excused due to exceptional circumstances.
- Promote Scotland and Scottish higher education.
Scholars may do this by posting on social media about their experience in Scotland. These (images, blogs, videos, etc.) may be used for marketing purposes.
Scholars also need to participate in an on-camera interview, the footage of which will be used by the Scottish government and university as needed.
If you come from any of the countries stated above, the Scotland Government Scholarship is a good way to cover a significant amount of your Master’s studies. To further ease the financial burden, you may apply for additional scholarships should your university permit it. Another option is to go for cheaper universities, such as the University of the West of Scotland and the University of the Highlands & lslands, to name a few.
I hope that this article on Scotland Government scholarships for international students was helpful. If you are interested, visit the Europe Scholarships Page!