The Free University of Berlin was founded in 1948 during the Cold War. The name “Free University” was given because it represented the “free world” of West Berlin as opposed to the “Communist World” of East Berlin. Another great thing about this university is that the tuition fee is free for both German and international students. In this article, we will be looking at the admissions procedures to get into this university.
- University of Toronto Scholarships
- Tuition-Free Universities in Berlin
- How to Get a Germany Student Visa
- Best Scholarships in Germany
- Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) Scholarships
- University of Toronto Scholarships
Free University of Berlin Tuition Fees
As stated above, the tuition fees of Free University of Berlin is free. In this sense, you are automatically receiving Free University of Berlin scholarships if you get accepted because you do not pay any tuition fees. However, you do need to pay 300 euros per semester for semester contribution fees. This money cover things such as registration, student card, etc. For detailed information, visit the Tuition Fees Page.
English Programs Available at Free University of Berlin
One of the most common questions that international students ask is whether or not the university offers English programs. The Free University of Berlin does provide degrees programs in English. Please keep in mind that the option for bachelor’s is limited, but for master’s, there are more options. IHere are the programs available in English (If your major is not found here, you will need to take the courses in German):
- North American Studies (Bachelor of Arts)
- Biochemistry (Master of Science)
- Bioinformatics (Master of Science)
- Chemistry (Master of Science)
- China-Europe Executive Master of Business Marketing (MBM)
- Computational Sciences (Master of Science)
- English Studies: Literature, Language, Culture (Master of Arts)
- European and International Business, Competition and Regulatory Law (Master of Business Law)
- Global History (Master of Arts)
- Intellectual Encounters of the Islamicate World (Master of Arts)
- International Health (Master of Science)
- Mathematics (Master of Science)
- Medical Neurosciences (Master of Science)
- Molecular Medicine (Master of Science)
- North American Studies (Master of Arts)
- Pharmaceutical Research (Master of Science)
- Physics (Master of Science)
- Polymer Science (Master of Science)
- Social, Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience (Master of Science)
- Sociology – European Societies (Master of Arts)
- Visual and Media Anthropology (Master of Arts)
Most doctorates are done in English. When you apply, you will need to specify that you will be doing your doctorate in English.
German Proficiency Requirements
If you are not pursuing admission at an English Speaking Program, you will need to fulfill the German language proficiency exams. Alternatively, you can go to the Free University of Berlin’s Language Center and learn your German there. For more information about the exams and fulfilling the requirements, visit German Proficiency Page. Please keep in mind that the German Proficiency is not required if you are applying for English Degree Programs.
The application deadline varies based on your circumstances. However, most international students who did not go to German high school can submit their application from June 1 – July 15 for the winter semester and December 1 – January 15 for the summer semester. However, make sure to check the deadlines at Application Deadlines Page and see the deadline that fits your criteria.
For most Master’s programs, the application period is from April 15th to May 31st. However, it varies according to programs, so make sure to check your deadlines here.
Applications can be submitted anytime.
If you have graduated from a high school outside of Germany, you will need to apply through uni-assist. The complete application procedure for a bachelor’s degree is outlined in this page.
Master’s and Doctoral
Students who are looking for admissions at Master’s and Doctoral programs can look at this page for admissions procedure.
I hope that this article on Free University of Berlin admissions procedure and scholarships was helpful. To know more information on how you can study in Europe, visit the Europe Scholarships Page.