There are many universities and programs that offer generous scholarships for developing countries. This is a list of top scholarships that are offered to students from developing countries. So if you are one of them, I hope that this list helps you in your journey to scholarships! Please bear in mind to check the application dates by going to the official website that is linked within this article. Since the deadlines that are posted here might change, the best place to look for requirements and application dates is the official website!
The Wells Mountain Initiative offers a highly competitive scholars program that only accepts 3% – 6% of applicants. This scholarship provides financial assistance for students undergraduate students from underdeveloped regions of the world. Special consideration is given to students with strong community service records who can make an impact in their local communities upon completion of the study.
- Application translated into English
- Personal photo
- 2 letters of recommendation
- 2 essays
- Personal statement
- Transcript and grading key
- Submit an application online or via mail
- No fee to apply
- December 1st – application opens
- April 1st – application deadline
The World Bank Group has partnered with various organizations to provide academic support and graduate study financial assistance for candidates from developing countries or for students in international development programs. The two programs currently offered are the following:
- Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program (JJ/WBGSP)
- Robert S. McNamara Fellowships Program (RSMFP)
- Citizen of a World Bank Developing Country
- Bachelor Degree required
- Have 3+ years of development-related work experience
- JJ/WBGSP must first apply for master’s degree admission with a partner school
- Winners are determined by the quality of professional experience, professional recommendations, commitment to home country, and educational background
- The RSMFP program is currently being restructured and will result in a new application process
- Applications are opened in February of each year.
Young students from vulnerable countries are encouraged to become MasterCard Foundation Scholars. This foundation partners with schools and NGOs to help support higher education at undergraduate and graduate levels. Awards offer financial assistance covering tuition fees, housing, books, and return ticket for applicants who are studying internationally.
- Applicants must share a commitment to improving the lives of others
- Individual applications vary and are handled separately via MasterCard Foundation Partner
- 22 Partner Institutions across Africa, Europe, Middle East, North, and Central America
- 29 years or younger for undergraduate program and 35 years or younger for a graduate program
- Research programs of interest and prepare references and standardized test scores
- Submit an application directly through Foundation Partner
- Application dates vary based on the program
Check Also: Available Programs for International Students
The Aga Khan Foundation provides an award consisting of a 50% grant and a 50% loan award. Thi international scholarship program is intended primarily for Master’s study but a Ph.D. study is considered as well.
- Preference is given for prospective students 30 years or younger
- Eligible nationals from the following countries: Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Syria, Egypt, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Madagascar, and Mozambique
- Each participating country has varying application requirements
- Contact and send completed applications to the local AKF office of the local country of origin
- January 1 – Application Opens
- March 31 – Application Deadline
- Late June / Early July – Award Notified
Female African students from financially disadvantaged backgrounds are eligible for this international scholarship award. Zawadi, the sponsoring organization, has offices in Kenya and Ghana.
- Completed secondary school examination
- Faced insurmountable odds in obtaining education
- Must have earned A or A- grades on KCSE exams
- The application includes one-page biography, passport photo, short essay, birth certificate, academic transcript, and signed recommendation letter
- The application window opens in February and closes in April annually.
Applicants from developing countries outside of OFID member countries are eligible for a scholarship award for Master’s Degree Study. The scholarship strongly considers students in the fields of economics and development, environmental studies, and other STEM fields. The award covers tuition and exam fees, and even a first-year relocation fee.
- Completed secondary school examination
- Applicants must be between 23 and 32 years of age
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Scanned copy of passport
- Scanned copy of an academic transcript
- 500-word personal essay written in English
- 2 academic letters of recommendation
- Proof of acceptance into graduate program institution
- The application deadline is in May of every year.
The UK Department for International Development (DFID) supports academic study for talented students. 800 awards for professional development and postgraduate study are awarded each year to individuals from low and middle-income Commonwealth countries.
Students in the following fields and areas are preferred:
- STEM for development
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security, and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion, and opportunity
- Process and exact awards vary greatly depending on country of origin
- Application closes at end of February of each year.
Individuals from 31 developing countries across Africa, Asia, and Latin America are eligible for this award to study in Flanders, Belgium. For graduate study, an award of €890/month and an additional accommodation allowance of €390/month will be granted. Do not miss this great opportunity to get this great scholarship for developing countries!
- Award-eligible for Master’s programs and various training
- Priority given to researchers and faculty involved with NGOs, government, and similar institutions
- Age requirement no longer applicable as of 2018
- Visit the VLIR-UOS eligible programs page for specific application details
- November – application opens annually
- Deadline dependent on specific program
9. Amos Bursary
For aspiring British students of African and Caribbean descent, the Amos Bursary presents an astounding opportunity. Awards may range from £500 to £1,000 annually. This specially designed program provides not just financial assistance but mentorship and leadership development for individuals of strong character.
- Must be 16 years old to apply for the Year 12 program
- Reference contact details
- Personal statement including sections on background, present, and future
- Research individual programs at participating institutions, such as King College London or University College London, for more details
- March 31st – application closes
A $5,000 Professional Development Award Grant is open to young qualified candidates to gain career and leadership development training. The Asia Foundation has partnered with 18 nations to shape the leaders of cultural and social change across Asia.
- 40 years or younger prior to application
- Demonstrate accomplishments and commitment to an Asia Foundation field of expertise such as women’s empowerment or conflict resolution
- Conversational English skills required
- The application process is highly selective and chosen by a committee of experts
- Selection is considered based on needs and development conditions of Asia
- Application deadline generally closes by November
- Selections are finalized in January
I hope that this list of scholarships for developing countries has helped in your initial research to get scholarships. If you are from a developing country, you should definitely take a look at this list and make a list of scholarships that you would like to apply for. Make sure to check out also the Available Programs for International Students!