Do you want to know the acceptance rate of the University of Melbourne? The University of Melbourne is a public research university that was established in 1853 in the city of Melbourne, Australia.

As one of Australia’s oldest universities and the oldest in the state of Victoria, the university has made huge strides and distinguished itself as one of the leading universities in the world ever since its inception.

The University of Melbourne is part of a number of elite associations with other top universities such as the Group of Eight, Universities 21, Sandstone Universities, Association of Pacific Rim Universities, etc.

The university has 10 residential colleges affiliated with it that are located either on the main campus or in the surrounding suburbs.

The University of Melbourne offers great scholarships to both domestic and international students. You should definitely check out the University of Melbourne Scholarships!

Ranking and Facts

The University of Melbourne has been consistently performing well on various ranking systems of reputed third-party surveys. The Times Higher Education survey for the academic year 2017-18 placed the university 32nd in the world and first in Australia while the QS World University Rankings for 2019 placed them at 39th.

The Academic Ranking of World Universities, on the other hand, ranked Melbourne University 38th in the world and 1st in Australia. According to the QS Graduate Employability Rankings for 2019, the university is the 6th highest in the world in terms of the employability enjoyed by the graduates. You can see from these high rankings that the acceptance rate is going to be low at the University of Melbourne.

Check Also: Available Programs for International Students

Enrollment and departments

The University of Melbourne has a total enrollment of 50,000 students across its 10 colleges. Around 51.5% of these students are undergraduate students while the remaining 48.5% are graduate students. The student-to-staff ratio is a healthy 24:1 which allows teachers to pay special attention to the needs and requirements of each student. Additionally, the students enrolled at the university come all across the world which enables a multicultural experience at the campus.

The university comprises 11 academic units along with 9 specialized undergraduate courses that last for 3 years each. For graduate students, there are 15 schools, amongst which the Melbourne Business School, the Melbourne Law School, and the Melbourne Medical School are particularly sought after.

The affiliated colleges where students of the University of Melbourne are enrolled all offer residential facilities. This allows students the opportunity to live amongst a diverse group of people and thus, develop as global citizens.

Famous Alumni

The University of Melbourne has contributed immensely to academic research as well as to the development of culture and arts in Australia. This is evident from a glance at the list of eminent personalities who are Melbourne alumni.

The university has been the alma mater of four Australian Prime Ministers including Alfred Deakin, Julia Gillard, Harold Holt, and Sir Robert Menzies. Their output in terms of Nobel laureates numbers at ten which is the highest amongst Australian universities.

Thus, it is evident that the University of Melbourne is the place to head to if one desires top-class education combined with all-around development. The various educational programs are overseen by a staff comprising of highly qualified and dedicated academics who prioritize the empowerment of the young minds in their care.

University of Melbourne Acceptance Rate

So, we now looked at all the basic facts about the University of Melbourne, let’s look at their acceptance rate. Surprisingly, their acceptance rate is low compared to their counterparts in the United States.

Although there are no specific numbers for the acceptance rate, the grade minimum to apply is 65%, which is a pretty low standard. Because they rely on international students and their tuition, the acceptance rate is quite high. I would say more than 40% of the people do get accepted. However, not all graduate.


I hope that this article about the University of Melbourne’s acceptance rate has been helpful to you. To know more information on studying abroad, check out the Available Programs for International Students.