Initially known as the School for Social Research, this private research institution was aimed at providing academic freedom. It was established in 1919 as a private research institution in Manhattan, New York. The University in Exile, part of The New School in 1933, was founded with the Nazi Germany escapees in mind. In 2005, it was named The New School For Social Research, while the parent institution retained its name, The New School. Since its inception, the university has grown both in population and quality of its programs.

This article will give you all the necessary information you need, including the acceptance rate at New School, before deciding to apply to be a freshman.

The number of full-time students enrolled at the New School is approximately 10,000. About 9,000 of these students are taking the undergraduate programs. It seems as if the institution’s admission process favors the female more than men. This can be seen in the current population, where the female account for 74% of the total number of graduates and undergrads.

In terms of in-state enrollment, only 23% of the students come from within New York. The rest (77%) are admitted from other states and countries across the globe. The ratio of the available faculty members to the total number of students is 9:1. However, only 19% of lecturers work on a full-time basis. As such, the on-time graduation rate (53%) is quite low as compared to other universities.

The New School comprises four colleges designed to provide teaching and research facilities for particular programs. Whether you aspire to join liberal art, performing arts, or design colleges,  this university has got all you need to be successful. In addition to the Main Campus in Manhattan, there is also a dedicated arts college located in Paris, France. This is an advantage because it gives the learner a wider view of various lifestyles and creative methods which are needed in the arts industry. Are you interested in joining one of these schools? Continue reading to find out more about the admission requirements and the acceptance rate at the New School.

As a new member of the New School’s diverse community, you will have the opportunity to unleash your creativity and talent through various avenues. For starters, there are over 40 registered clubs and organizations with unique objectives. If you like singing, dancing, debating, or learning about technology, you will not miss at least one organization that fits your needs. The New School also offers an affordable and comfortable living environment where students can also interact with each other freely.

Acceptance Rate at New School

The admission process of this university is characterized by moderate competition. With an acceptance rate at the New School being 60%, every applicant will have a high probability of joining, but only the qualified ones will be accepted. So, what are the requirements?

Either SAT or ACT scores must be submitted together with your application documents. Previous statistics show that most students prefer to hand in their SAT scores. The same data suggests that successful applicants had SAT or ACT scores in the range of 1130-1270 or 23-28, respectively. Also, a GPA of 3.42 will increase your chances of being selected.


I hope that this article on the New School’s acceptance rate was helpful. To know more information on studying abroad, check out the Available Programs for International Students.